Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Setting up FM Server 13 next to an Apple Server

Hi,

as FM server 13 may not be set up on an computer with Apple Server installed (as it uses port 80 and 443 for its own) we set it up on a second MacMini.

So the situation is as follows

MacMini_OSX_Server with Time Capsule that is directly connected to the Router. IP Address 78.41.xxx.xx

MacMini_FMServer with another Time Capsule with DHCP, with the IP 10.0.1.99

So what do I have to do to bring the FileMaker Database on the MacMini with the IP 10.0.1.99 accessible from outside.

Do I have to make a virtual host on the OSX Server?

Thanks for helping!!!

Christian

Posted on Mar 5, 2014 10:55 AM

4 replies

Mar 5, 2014 2:15 PM in response to TristanV

Hi TrsitenV

I know, it’s a killer isn't it, with FM12 you could cheat around the port 80 issue, but FM13 has really stuffed us up.

You can indeed run FM13 on OSX Server, but you simply cant use the web services on it. Like you I have it running on a different Mac.

I notice that your MacMini_OSX_Server with Time Capsule has a WAN address rather than a LAN address, so that would mean that all web services hosted have a DNS record that points to it, as an example web.server.com points to 78.41.xxx.xx. The MacMini_OSX_Server with Time Capsule connects to the router but is is not inside the firewall and therefore is not being "routed" so your router must have a different IP addess for example

116.41.xxx.xx. so you could add a DNS record for fm.server.com to point to 116.41.xxx.xx. and enable NAT in the router to point port 80 and 443 to 10.0.1.99

Am I missing anything?

Mar 5, 2014 3:00 PM in response to paulfromburwood

Also, I did something like this for FM12, I dont know if this will still work, but with a bit of DNS trickery, you might be able to get around it.

Lets say you want you clients to connect to FM13 using fm.server.com which has to be on port 80.

Set up the FM13 server as something else, say something.server.com

Now create a CNAME in your internal DNS to point fm.server.com to something.server.com

Everyone inside the network can now access the FM13 at fm.server.com

Now the tricky part that I hope will work!

Now create a DNS record where you Domain is hosted and create a record for fm.server.com to point at the correct IP

On the primary server create a website for fm.server.com at port 80, then create a redirect to point it to http://something.server.com:8888

In your router create a NAT address for port 8888, with the internal port to be port 80 and do to 10.0.1.99

Finally cross your fingers!

Let me know how you go, I would love to know if this plan works!

Mar 9, 2014 10:22 PM in response to paulfromburwood

Hi Paul,

thanks for your reply!

In fact I was stunned by it but I couldn't manage it because I was not really sure what to do 😟

BUT: I simply activated by airport utility on the time capsule connected to the MacMini that has the 78.41.xxx.xx address and add Personal web sharing on port 8080 and routed it to the private IP on the MacMini with FM Server (which has the IP 10.0.1.3 - always!).

And it works.

From outside with 78.41.xxx.xx:8080/fmi/webd I have access to the FM Server 🙂

Cheers

Tristan

Setting up FM Server 13 next to an Apple Server

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.