Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

In what file/folder are Contacts stored?

Following a crash with Mavericks, Apple was able to drag-and-drop most files to an external hard drive, and re-installed 10.8.2. In what file are the Contacts kept, and normally under what name? I don't know how to re-connect Addrerss Book with them. Thanks.

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Mar 5, 2014 10:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 5, 2014 12:29 PM

The information viewed in Contacts is not located in a single file, nor a single directory.

[Copied from another thread I responded to recently:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5822404?answerId=24658329022#24658329022]

This MIGHT be include all the files you need, but there might also be Preferences files needed from another directory.

Also, I migrated my data from an older OS X version (10.6.8) where the app was called Address Book. On brand new systems, it is called Contacts, and the correct directory might be named Contacts.

NOTE: Be sure to replace Macintosh HD below with the actual hard drive name if not Macintosh HD, and username below with the actual user's name...

Transfer all the files from Macintosh HD/Users/username/Library/Application Support/AddressBook/

That WILL INCLUDE each of these three subdirectories where the necessary files and data are stored:

Macintosh HD/Users/username/Library/Application Support/AddressBook/images

Macintosh HD/Users/username/Library/Application Support/AddressBook/Metadata

Macintosh HD/Users/username/Library/Application Support/AddressBook/Sources

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 5, 2014 12:29 PM in response to Filucy Stu

The information viewed in Contacts is not located in a single file, nor a single directory.

[Copied from another thread I responded to recently:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5822404?answerId=24658329022#24658329022]

This MIGHT be include all the files you need, but there might also be Preferences files needed from another directory.

Also, I migrated my data from an older OS X version (10.6.8) where the app was called Address Book. On brand new systems, it is called Contacts, and the correct directory might be named Contacts.

NOTE: Be sure to replace Macintosh HD below with the actual hard drive name if not Macintosh HD, and username below with the actual user's name...

Transfer all the files from Macintosh HD/Users/username/Library/Application Support/AddressBook/

That WILL INCLUDE each of these three subdirectories where the necessary files and data are stored:

Macintosh HD/Users/username/Library/Application Support/AddressBook/images

Macintosh HD/Users/username/Library/Application Support/AddressBook/Metadata

Macintosh HD/Users/username/Library/Application Support/AddressBook/Sources

Mar 5, 2014 2:21 PM in response to Filucy Stu

Do you have a folder titled AddressBook on the EHD? If you do look inside to see if it contains something similar to this:

User uploaded file

If it does try placing it in your Home/Library/Applications Support folder,

User uploaded file

reboot and launch Contacts.

AND obtain another external HD and use it with Time Machine to backup your boot drive on a continual basis. That way this could be recovered without a trip to the Apple store.

OT

In what file/folder are Contacts stored?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.