Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Pro won't clean install OSX on new HDD

I have a Mac Pro early 2008 and I was running windows and mac on 2 separate hard drives. I was using the 500gb WD hdd that came with the mac that had mac installed and I just upgraded to mavericks, and I was also using a new WD 1TB hdd for Windows (http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0088PUEPK/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1394048774&sr=8-1). I was using windows more because I was having trouble switching back and forth and sometimes the mac hdd wouldn't show up. I tried a few different things with the harddrive and I just came to the conclusion that the mac hdd was dead. It was the original hdd that came with the Mac Pro so it was pretty old I figured it just died, it wouldn't show up anywhere. Anyways, I bought. 2TB WD hdd (http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B008YAHW6I) to use for mac and now when I tried to install it with the retail mac snow leopard install disk from apple, it gets to the grey apple logo with the loading circle and just stays there forever. I've left it on for a while and it still stays there, which is the same thing that happened when I tired to reinstall it to the old mac harddrive that I think is dead. I've started up into boot option and the new hdd doesn't show up, idk if it's supposed to show up being that's it's a new hdd or what. So I'm not sure if the hard drive is incompatible or the installer disc is incompatible with this Mac Pro. Or the 2tb is too big, I've heard people run up to 3tb on one hard drive on mac pros and they still run good. So I'm not sure, if anybody could please help I'm sure it's probably something simple. Links to the harddrives I have are above. Thanks a lot !

Mac Pro

Posted on Mar 5, 2014 11:52 AM

21 replies

Mar 5, 2014 11:55 AM in response to Rich Ay

Try prepping the drive first:

Drive Partition and Format

1. Boot from your OS X Installer Disc. After the installer loads select your language and click on the Continue button. When the menu bar appears select Disk Utility from the Utilities menu.

If you are preparing an external or a non-startup drive, then open Disk Utility in your Utilities folder.

2. After DU loads select your hard drive (this is the entry with the mfgr.'s ID and size) from the left side list. Note the SMART status of the drive in DU's status area. If it does not say "Verified" then the drive is failing or has failed and will need replacing. SMART info will not be reported on external drives. Otherwise, click on the Partition tab in the DU main window.

3. Under the Volume Scheme heading set the number of partitions from the drop down menu to one. Click on the Options button, set the partition scheme to GUID then click on the OK button. Set the format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.) Click on the Apply button and wait until the process has completed.

4. Select the volume you just created (this is the sub-entry under the drive entry) from the left side list. Click on the Erase tab in the DU main window.

5. Set the format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.) Click on the Security button, check the button for Zero Data and click on OK to return to the Erase window.

6. Click on the Erase button. The format process can take up to several hours depending upon the drive size.

Mar 5, 2014 12:08 PM in response to Rich Ay

No 2TB is not too big, though it is overly large for a boot drive.

A 128 or 250GB SSD is just about perfect for system boot drive - for either system.

Cloning for backup is the best type of insurance against issues. Two probably, one you can have a copy of the working sytem, one older safe copy. And use those to repair.

you might have been able to clone it. You might be able to mount it and use Data Rescue 3.

A "recovery drive" and two backup drives: TimeMachine and clone.

System drive and "data" drive for all the media and data and other non system files, all YOUR user folders and files.

Did you change out the video card? that could be one reason why. Apple's ATI 5770 requires 10.6.5+ - beyond the build of the retail Snow Leopard.

You could try buying Mountain Lion too.

With good backup clones then rare to ever need to redo and install the system. But it is good to start fresh when you have a new OS, and to format any drive at that time, and probably on a yearly basis - and not just keep using same drive for system, or for data.

I would think that without proper maintenance and use of Disk Utility: Repair Disk, you just had simple directory corruption issues.

------------

Mar 5, 2014 1:08 PM in response to The hatter

Ok I am a little confused, I haven't looked into cloning but that was probably my next move, my problem right now is I have no hdd that is running OSX that works and when I put in the install disc the installer does not load, it stays on the screen with the apple logo and loading sign and it will not get past that to select language or anything. Is there a reason for that. I did not install any video cards or anything.

Mar 5, 2014 1:12 PM in response to Rich Ay

Usually means the disc is faulty or the optical drive is. It can also mean the disc you are using is the wrong OS X version for booting the computer. Did you use this method of booting it:

Booting From An OS X Installer Disc

1. Insert OS X Installer Disc into the optical drive.

2. Restart the computer.

3. Immediately after the chime press and hold down the "C" key.

4. Release the key when the spinning gear below the dark gray Apple

logo appears.

5. Wait for installer to finish loading.

Mar 5, 2014 1:47 PM in response to The hatter

I tried resetting nvram, I reset the smc, I took out the windows harddrive and left only the new hdd in disk slot 1. I disconnected everything from Mac Pro except for monitor dvi connection and apple keyboard. I'm still stuck at the loading screen for the OSX disk. I'm not sure why it won't pass this screen or recognize the new hdd, but even without the hd the OSX installer disk should at least work enough to get past the initial loading screen right? I'm not sure what else to do. Any suggestions?

Mac Pro won't clean install OSX on new HDD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.