Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have the newest iteration of the MBA and recently when I am using the clamshell mode with my Viewsonic monitor, the screen randomly blacks out for a second. What could be the issue?

Viewsonic Model # VS13518

On another note, when I first activate my monitor when my laptop is all hooked up, I get a snowy picture for about 9-13 seconds and then the picture shows fine. Recently, I've been having these random black/blank screens for about 3-5 seconds where I can't see my screen and then it just reappears like nothing happened. It's really frustrating because I have no idea what it could be? the cable? monitor? or laptop?

MacBook Air (13-inch Mid 2013), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Mar 5, 2014 11:59 AM

1 reply

Mar 7, 2014 6:19 AM in response to NinoStudent13

Hello NinoStudent13,

Thank you for the details of the issue you are experiencing with your external display.

I found an article with steps to troubleshoot issues with displays. This article is for internal and external displays, so you can skip any steps referring to the internal display. I recommend reviewing the section titled "No video or no signal, image distortion, 'snow,' or flickering" in the article below. I recommend reviewing the full article, but the following steps specifically stands out to me for the situation you are experiencing:

Reset the system

You can reset the Mac's parameter RAM and SMC.

You can find the full article here:

Apple computers: Troubleshooting issues with video on internal or external displays

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1573

Thank you for posting in the Apple Support Communities.

Best,

Sheila M.

I have the newest iteration of the MBA and recently when I am using the clamshell mode with my Viewsonic monitor, the screen randomly blacks out for a second. What could be the issue?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.