Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Forced to give up on iPhone because of iTunes 11? No more script support?

I use iTunes 10.7 because I rely heavily on the scripts I have written for iTunes, using the SDK. Messages on this forum suggest that these scripts will no longer work with iTunes 11. Can someone confirm this?

Besides that, I also need the option to have mulptiple (playlist) windows open. Apple stubornly refuses to listen to all users who want this feature back, which was removed in version 11.

I'm stuck on version 10.7, which is fine because it does everything a need it to do. However Apple thought it necessary to force users into version 11 if they want to update their iPhone to the latest OS. Because of this I'm also stuck on the old iOS on my phone. And because of this I can't use 4G network that my providers offers (and I pay for). This chain of negativity has become too long, and since switching to iTunes 11 is NOT an otion without the scripts working and multiple window support, I only see one solution and that is to switch to a phone which does not require iTunes 11, which means saying goodby to the iPhone.

Or am I missing something here? Does anyone have a solution for those two issues?

Thank you.

Windows 7

Posted on Mar 5, 2014 12:41 PM

6 replies

Mar 5, 2014 1:41 PM in response to The Amsterdam Connection

The Amsterdam Connection wrote:

Because of this I'm also stuck on the old iOS on my phone. And because of this I can't use 4G network that my providers offers (and I pay for).

Well now that is just stupid. There is nothing about iOS 7 that makes a device magically work on 4G. There is also nothing about iOS6 that prevents a device from connecting to 4G.

Mar 5, 2014 1:50 PM in response to The Amsterdam Connection

Scripts continue to work with iTunes 11. If I recall correctly the "Part of Gapless" property has been removed from the entire interface, scripting included, but offhand I can't think of any other notable changes.

Multiple playlist windows have gone. There is not much more to be said about it. Whatever workflow you had that depended upon them can probably be adjusted.

tt2

Mar 5, 2014 2:50 PM in response to turingtest2

@ tt2

What do you make of this thread?

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4559677

I don't want to upgrade to 11 to test this, because as I understand it downgrading back to 10.7 is rather tricky. I supose however that I could my scripts and library to an old pc and give it a go.

I DJ with iTunes (I don't have to mix) and for this multiple windos is very practical. Selecting tracks from one window, and dropping them onto another is a convenient workflow... Yes it can be done without it, but I would rather stay with 10.7 and just forget about iTunes 11 until they re-introduce this (hopefully)

Thanks

Mar 5, 2014 3:40 PM in response to The Amsterdam Connection

My embed artwork script, which uses the call mentioned, functions just fine, along with all the others I use regularly.

I tested out iTLU many years ago. There may well have been issues with the iTunes 11.0 that were fixed in the next release as a quick hunt suggests it still works for some people, some of the time. If the developer were interested he could probably make it more robust.

iTunes Folder Watch is/was a similar but better product and works to this day.

iTSFV is a different tool, similar to TuneUp which is currently awaiting a reboot. I'm fairly sure TuneUp Media fixed whatever issue was mentioned in that thread, but the project seemed to have gone bust last time I looked. Today the website suggests a relauch under new management is coming soon.

tt2

Mar 5, 2014 3:45 PM in response to The Amsterdam Connection

The main differences between iTunes 11 and earlier versions are the loss of coverflow and ability to have multiple windows open.

In Windows, you can restore much of the look & feel of iTunes 10.7 with these shortcuts:

• ALT to temporarily display the menu bar
  • CTRL+B to show or hide the menu bar
  • CTRL+S to show or hide the sidebar
  • CTRL+/ to show or hide the status bar (won't hide for me on Win XP)
  • Click the magnifying glass top right and untick Search Entire Library to restore the old search behaviour
  • Use View > Hide <Media Kind> in the cloud or Edit > Preferences > Store and untick Show iTunes in the cloud purchases to hide the cloud items. The second method eliminates the cloud status column (and may let iTunes start up more quickly)
  • If you don't like having different coloured background & text in the Album (Grid) view use Edit > Preferences > General and untick Use custom colours for open albums, movies, etc.
  • With iTunes 11.0.3 and later you can enable artwork in the Songs view from View > Show View Options (CTRL+J) making it more like the old Album List view
  • View > Show View Options (CTRL+J) also contains options to change the sorting of grid based views

N.b. iOS 7 requires iTunes 11.1 or later.

Do not downgrade iTunes if you have already upgraded your devices...

Roll back of iOS is not possible.

If you feel the need to roll back to iTunes 10.7 first download a copy of the 32 bit installer or 64 bit installer as appropriate, uninstall iTunes and supporting software, i.e. Apple Application Support & Apple Mobile Device Support. Reboot. Restore the pre-upgrade version of your library database as per the diagram below, then install iTunes 10.7.

User uploaded file

See iTunes Folder Watch for a tool to scan the media folder and catch up with any changes made since the backup file was created.

tt2

Forced to give up on iPhone because of iTunes 11? No more script support?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.