Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

logic pro x drummer fills

Whenever I put a fill on any drummer region of any drummer, it always puts a crash cymbal on the 1 of the following bar, which is often not wanted. Does anyone know how to stop this from happening? Thanks in advance.

Logic Pro X, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Mar 5, 2014 2:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 6, 2014 12:27 AM

Yes, I do, but you can't stop that from happening on the Drummer track itself.

So:

Create a software instrument track under your Drummer track.

In the mixer, alt-drag (=copy) over the Drum Kit designer from the Drummer track to the new track, do the same with any insert plugins.

In arrange, drag the region with the crash to the new SI track. It immediately converts to MIDI, which you can now edit.

You have to leave the region there, because edits get undone if you convert it back to a Drummer region.

User uploaded file

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 6, 2014 12:27 AM in response to B234

Yes, I do, but you can't stop that from happening on the Drummer track itself.

So:

Create a software instrument track under your Drummer track.

In the mixer, alt-drag (=copy) over the Drum Kit designer from the Drummer track to the new track, do the same with any insert plugins.

In arrange, drag the region with the crash to the new SI track. It immediately converts to MIDI, which you can now edit.

You have to leave the region there, because edits get undone if you convert it back to a Drummer region.

User uploaded file

Mar 6, 2014 8:05 AM in response to Eriksimon

Thank you for your reply but converting to midi (or muting the cymbals) disables Drummer so it’s just a workaround of what I see as a major bug. No (working) drummer in the world would add a crash cymbal after every single drum fill in every piece of music. If synths added unwanted notes every time you used them that could only be deleted by extensive editing, no one would use them. Note to Apple: thank you very much for Drummer but please let us choose whether or not to have post-fill crashes added.

Mar 6, 2014 11:38 PM in response to B234

Please do not rant at me, I'm just a user like you, and you are now talking to me, not to Apple. Apple doesn't read these discussions.

And lots of drummers end a fill with a crash hit on the 1st of the next measure, in fact, at those rare moments that Drummer (or a drummer) does NOT do this (because it/he/she doesn't do this all the time, in spite of your claim) it actually sounds "missing".

And converting to MIDI does not 'disable' Drummer.

Also your example of synth adding extra notes is invalid: with Drummer it is not the instrument (DKD) that 'creates' the notes, it is a MIDIpattern library algorythm, the sole purpose of which is... to create notes!

Mar 7, 2014 8:48 AM in response to Eriksimon

Converting to midi does disable using the Drummer algorithm for the mIdi track, which is the part of Drummer we’re talking about; I don’t have an issue with the kits; I’m referring to Drummer as both the algorithm and the kits and the issue is with an algorithm creating events/notes in regions that are not being edited/played; which wouldn’t be useful if a synth algorithm was doing the same thing every single time it was played.

This is not a rant; I appreciate your taking time to help with this but if anyone knows of any moments that Drummer doesn’t add post-fill crashes, that would solve the issue for me because I’ve haven’t found one in all 18 drummers, which is why I posted the question.

May 2, 2015 5:04 PM in response to B234

There is a sort of a rough workaround which i have used in the past to get around this issue... It works these days thanks to the change in 10.1 which allows you to have more than one Drummer Track per Project which you couldn't easily do in prior versions of LPX without resorting to some odd working methods

1) Load up two drummer tracks with identical settings

2) Drummer 1 turn off fills (Set all the way over to the left and click on fill's lock)

3) Drummer 2 turn on fills...

4) Use automation at start of pattern to unmute Drummer 1 and mute Drummer 2

4) Use automation one bar in (or whenever you wish... ) to mute drummer 1 and at same time unmute Drummer 2

So long as you make the same drummer settings for each Drummer track.. you can now get rid of unneeded crash cymbals at the start of a pattern but retain other drummer functionality.... without it being noticeable...

You can use the same trick to accomplish all kinds of little tricks with drummer.. like layering patterns, switching back to no fills at any point in a track.... changing to HHs instead of Cyms at odd points in the pattern...and so on...

Here's an example screenshot with automation...

User uploaded file

The other method idea i had involved the use of the producer+ kits and their individual channels..but unfortunately Logic just used overhead and room mics to record the cymbals so you cannot easily mute / unmute / volume automate those without it sticking out in the mix...

May 3, 2015 3:23 PM in response to B234

Here is another (not very practical 😁 ) workaround how to elimiate a Crash Cymbal, or any drum note from the Drummer Pattern.

Please note that this is just of limited use and more for a theoretical understanding about the Drummer itself.

The Drummer Region was always this mysterious thing that was created by the parameters of the Drummer Editor and only if you drag that Region to a MIDI Tack, then you could see the actual MIDI Events that were created by the Drummer Region. Now, with the introduction of the new "Region Automation" in v10.1, Logic handed you the key to "open" the Drummer Regions (and edit them). Here are the steps:

1. Display the Automation
  2. Set the Drummer Region to Region Automation
  3. Create an Automation Control Point on the Drummer Region
  4. Open the Event List
  5. Clicking on the Automation Control Point will open the Drummer Region in the Event List to display the Fader Event of this Automation Control Point
  6. In addition to the Fader Events, the Event List displays all the MIDI Events that are created by the Drummer Region. In this screenshot, the Crash Cymbal is the note A2. I set its velocity to 1, and voila, you can't hear the crash cymbal anymore. You could also delete the event (doesn't work all the time)

User uploaded file

The major downside of this "workaround" is that whenever you change the parameter for that Drummer Region in the Drummer Editor, the MIDI Events are updated and your "manual edits" are overwritten.

At least, you can use this trick to see how changing a parameter in the Drummer Region changing the actual MIDI Events. For example, change the "Feel" dial, and you can see instantly how many ticks specific MIDI Notes are moved out of their quantized timing position.

Hope that helps

Edgar Rothermich

http://DingDingMusic.com/Manuals/

'I may receive some form of compensation, financial or otherwise, from my recommendation or link.'

logic pro x drummer fills

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.