Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can automatically alphabetize a list I have made in pages?

Is there any easy way to automatically alphabetize a list I have made in Pages?

iPhone 5, iOS 7.0.2

Posted on Mar 5, 2014 5:25 PM

20 replies

Mar 5, 2014 5:32 PM in response to jamie171

Your tag suggests that you are using Pages on an ios device. If that is the case, you would need to put the data you want to sort in a table, click in the header obve the colm and pick sort.

If you are using Pages for mac, then it depends on whether you are using Pages 4.3 ("Pages 09"), or the crippled, buggy 5.1. If it is 4.3, you can go the table route, or you can install WordServces (just search the web for Wrodservices) and install. It procides a number sof useful utilities, including a sort fucntion. You can also puy yht edata into a table and sort it that way.

Why there is no native sort utility for a this word processing software is a mystery, but less of one than the diaster being peddled as Pages 5.1

Mar 5, 2014 5:59 PM in response to rkimball

I am using Pages on a Macbook Pro. I just discovered that I have BOTH of the versions you mentioned for Pages. Pages 09 & the updated version 5.1. Is that weird? I do remember updating to the newer version when I was notified to do so and usually with updates for other apps the old version is removed automatically with the new version in place. I wonder why I have 2 versions. My document was written using the 5.1 version so I will try it with the 09' version and follow your intrstuctions to see if it works. Thanks so much. I have so much to learn about getting around my MAC. I'm a newbie 🙂

Mar 5, 2014 6:06 PM in response to jamie171

Apple has retained 2 versions of Pages on your Mac.

Pages 5 is in your Applications folder. It has improved exchangeability with the iOS version and iCloud but has had over 100 features removed:

http://www.freeforum101.com/iworktipsntrick/viewforum.php?f=22&sid=3527487677f0c 6fa05b6297cd00f8eb9&mforum=iworktipsntrick

Pages '09/'08 is in your Applications/iWork folder.

Pages '09/'08 can not open Pages 5 files and you will get the warning that you need a newer version.

Pages 5.01 can not open Pages 5.1 files and you will get the warning that you need a newer version.

Pages 5 can open Pages '09 files but may damage/alter them. It can not open Pages '08 files at all.

Once opened and saved in Pages 5 the Pages '09 files can not be opened in Pages '09.

Once opened and saved in Pages 5.1 files can not be opened in Pages 5.

Anything that is saved to iCloud is also converted to Pages 5 files.

All Pages files no matter what version and incompatibility have the same extension .pages.

Pages 5 files are now only compatible with themselves on a very restricted set of hardware, software and Operating Systems and will not transfer correctly on any other server software than iCloud.

Archive/trash Pages 5, after exporting all Pages 5 files to Pages '09 or Word .docx, and rate/review it in the App Store.

Peter

Mar 5, 2014 6:16 PM in response to jamie171

I hate to break it to you, but you will not be trying that document you created with version 5.1 with the '09 version. Apple cleverly rewrote the Pages software "from the ground up"(as they proudly report) in such a way that it produces files that connot be read by anything else, including previous versions of Pages (files created with 5.1 cannot be read by version 5.01, if you can believe it). In order to open a file that you created with Pages 5.1 using Pages 09, you would first need to export that file to Pages 09 format. And let's say you have a file created with Pages 09 that you edit with PAges 5.1: get ready for lots of extra work, for Pages 5.1 will strip out all sorts of things that it doesn't support. Here's a very partial list of things that are present in Pages 09 that are NOT in Pages 5.1:

- mail merge

- bookmarks

- 2-up page viewing ("layout view")

- ability to set alternating left/right margins, headers, footers

- ability to set default zoom

- ability to view comments while editing

- abiltiy to print comments

- ability to select non-contiguous text.

- meaningful Applescript and Services support

- ability to drag in web links from a web browser [!!]

- ability to export files with links to a PDF file (only works on the first page!)

- ability to read RTF files

- abiltiy to read Pages 08 files

- status bar with word count and page count

- and on and on and on.

You're right: usually when a vendor upgrades software, they replace the previous version. I suspect Apple did not do thisa with Pages 5 because they knew it was not ready for prime time and that most users would have to continue using the previous version. Pages 5.1 may be an update. It is certianly not an upgrade.

Apr 18, 2014 2:23 AM in response to PeterBreis0807

Having read the various discussions on the topic of alphabetization under Pages, I still am unable to do the job with either version of Pages. I used to work with Word for Mac which had the very simple function of "Convert Text to Table" and vice versa. This was under Panther. Under Mavericks on my new iMac, I thought I could avoid buying the new Word for Mac (MS Office) by changing to Pages. Numerous documents have been made already with Pages 5.1 including documents which need to be alphabetized, which I thought would be simple after having converted Text to Table.Wish I had been more alert. Wish I had purchased the new Word for Mac. Wish I could find a way to convert a lengthy 5.1 document into a Table and simply press a button to Alphabetize.

Contrary to what was said in one of the other discussions on this topic, when I export a 5.1 document to 09, and then select Text, there is no function to convert Text to Table either in a menu in the menu bar or the "inspector"

The question remains unsolved. Can anybody help me out with step by step instructions as to how to Alphabetize my 09 document?

Apr 18, 2014 4:04 AM in response to jamie171

With the Pages v5.2 update, the Sort Ascending/Descending Services available from the free Devon Technologies WordServices solution now work again, as they continue to do in Pages ’09. You can now sort a list directly in Pages v5.2, TextEdit, Mail, etc. without resorting to a table sort.

Also, the capitalize first word of selected sentence(s) also works from this WordService Services tool.

Apr 18, 2014 4:36 AM in response to grimbeltje1707

For Pages 09 have your text separated with paragraph breaks. Then Select all the lines/pragraphs > Format > table Text to table. In the Inspector palette > Table tab > Edit Rows and Colums (see image) > Click on the gear > choose Sort ascending or descending

To reverse back to text >Format > Table > Convert teble to Text

User uploaded file

In Pages 5 you select the text with the paragraph breaks, copy and past inti a table. The sort option is in the column name if you click on the tiny arrowto the right

User uploaded file

Apr 20, 2014 8:58 AM in response to fruhulda

Hej. “sortera stigande”, “Tjänster” “Radera kolumn”. It is all so easy to read for a Dutchman. Sortera is almost identical in Dutch. Tjänster is equal to Diensten, you have to know some etymological rules to see they are connected. Tack så mycket = Dank zo zeer, mycket = much. Etc.

Speaking your language is another thing. My sister-in-law is married to a Swede and lives in Stockholm. They have to be careful as to what they say to each other when `i’m around.

And we watch series like The Bridge on television. And Wallander etc. With under-titling.

Hej då.

PS and we have lots of Ikea stores here.

Apr 29, 2014 3:10 PM in response to jamie171

I have both versions of Pages (4.3 and 5.2) intalled under Mavericks.

I only use 4.3, and just now I realized that Devon's Wordservice is not showing up anymore under neither Services menu. Same under other applications, like TextEdit and TextMate, except on Evernote, wich it's still there and working.

Any workarounds and/or toughts about it?

Thanx!

How can automatically alphabetize a list I have made in pages?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.