Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Anyone know why my wifi sees 5G but won't connect?

I have an Air Port Extreme router, the new tall one. Full 2.4/5ghz Dual-Band. Of course all my Apple devices will connect and activate 5G and I see between 800mbps to 1200mbps connection speeds. However I've tried THREE different brands of Wifi AC Dual-Band devices for my Windows gaming rig and while ALL will see both the 2.4G and 5G router wifi connections, any attempt to connect to the 5G will just see it ignored and it connects to the 2.4G. Signal quality for both is 100%.

I even have the 5G set to 40mhz (channels 48-187) and it won't work. If I set up the router to split the 2.4G and 5G as two access points, the 5G won't even show up for my Windows box.

Has anyone run in to this? Is Apple up to shenanigans or am I not understanding how this works? For now my rig is on 2.4G and seeing 144mbps instead of the 800mbps I am seeing on my Apple's 5G connections.

Thanks for any help.

Time Capsule-OTHER, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1), Late Model 2013 MacBook Pro

Posted on Mar 5, 2014 9:29 PM

2 replies

Mar 5, 2014 10:33 PM in response to Kevin Quattro

Are you using SMB compatible names, ie short, no spaces and pure alphanumeric.

Obviously a different name for 2.4ghz and 5ghz.

Try removing the security.. just for a test. If it won't connect with name correct and no security then there is something wrong in the computer.. but each wireless device should have a different driver.. if not make sure you download the latest driver for it.

Put the wireless security back as soon as you finish testing of course.

Anyone know why my wifi sees 5G but won't connect?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.