Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does OS X support Duplex printing with Officejet 8600 pro e-plus printer?

Hello !

It is shocking that no one from HP is able to confirm to me if Officejet 8600 pro e-plus printer can support duplex printing as a standard. Checked with our IT staff in our company and they also failed.

A quick response will be of immense help.

Note I am asking this printer to use with my mac book pro and my mac mini running OS X 10.9.2 and 10.8.4 respectively.

With warm regards,

Srinath Beldona

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Mar 5, 2014 9:34 PM

10 replies

Mar 5, 2014 9:41 PM in response to Srinath Beldona

It's the printer model that needs to support it; I've checked it for you and this is what it says:

Do more with automatic two-sided print, copy and scan capabilities and the 50-page automatic document feeder.

from this page:

http://www.shopping.hp.com/en_US/home-office/-/products/Printers/HP-Officejet-Pr o/CM750A?HP-Officejet-Pro-8600-Plus-e-All-in-One-Printer-N911g

Mar 5, 2014 11:00 PM in response to babowa

Well it is hard to believe a datasheet as it can apply only to windows. This is my experience. I have 4 laptops in my house out of which one of them happens to be a mac os x 10.9. I can print duplex without any issues with windows 7, however with the mac osx 10.9 I have never been able to print duplex mode with my 7408 printer.

There is no option. I don't trust datasheets. I call HP sales support and they have no clue about this.

Before I purchase my new printer I am making sure it prints duplex before purchase. Canon sales support team told me it supports but their printer mg 7170 printer has no automatic document feeder.

Mar 7, 2014 10:31 AM in response to Srinath Beldona

Hello !

I did get a response from HP finally indicating that it is supported after a lot of effort. Finally purchased the printer and found that it supports it.

It could have been a lot simpler if the persons who document it were more specific. I have a old printer HP officejet 7408 printer finally it started causing problems. I could not print duplex using the 7408 printer, so I called HP and requested them to help me out. They could not help me out for a long time. Finally yesterday I was doing some research with a print issue, I found an option to enable Duplex printing with 7408.

I think apple support doesn't do enough to address this.Apple has the knob to enable this at a vague place.

I am using OS X 10.9.2 with my mac book pro. Adding this to help other out.

Mar 7, 2014 8:34 PM in response to babowa

I agree with you only partially as this clearly depends on how software is written. Please have a look and tell me how confusing it can be. If we want to do a specific stuff with both printers

The print dialog supported for 7400.

User uploaded file

The print dialog for 8600 plus printer.

User uploaded file

Mac OS X dialog box for both of them differs. So please correct me. Such a display can really get confusing if we want to enable a feature on the printer. The same thing happened to me. The knob to enable duplex printing was at a different location using this approach only creates confusion.

Please note I only intend to give feedback

Thanks for jumping to help me out.

Mar 7, 2014 9:04 PM in response to Srinath Beldona

You are showing a dialog window from a third party application - Microsoft Word. I've never used that, so I am not able to comment at all. But, you might want to try to click on the Microsoft word (third clickable line down) to see what other options you can pull up. Layout might be a better one if it is available.

Here is the dialog window from a Mac OS application (Pages):

User uploaded file

The two-sided options is easy to see. I also opened a third party app I use quite often - Swift Publisher 3 - and the dialog window is the same.

So, it seems what you are seeing is dictated by the application and you might want to send some feedback to Microsoft.

Does OS X support Duplex printing with Officejet 8600 pro e-plus printer?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.