Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Re-downloading Apps

I downloaded some free Apps on to my new iPAd Air. They were subsequently deleted by mistake from the Home screen via double clicking the home button and the X.

Tried to re-download them from the Apps Store but it says 'already downloaded'. They're not in iTunes when I connected to sync stuff.

How do I get them back?

Thanks

iPad, iOS 7.0.6, Air

Posted on Mar 6, 2014 3:58 AM

8 replies

Mar 6, 2014 4:16 AM in response to Belleek

There are two issues here.

First, on iOS 7 (which your profile says you are using), double-clicking the Home button does not enable the function to delete apps. It opens the multi-tasking pane to close apps that are open. To delete apps, you tap and hold an icon on the home page until the X appears. Tapping that X of course removes the app from the device.

You can check to see if the app hasn't accidentally been moved to a folder. Swipe down anywhere on the iPad home screen to display Spotlight search. Type the app name. If it appears, it is somewhere on the iPad. If not, and the App Store still says it is installed, then try resetting your iPad following the instructions below:

Reset your iPad by simultaneously pressing and holding the Home and Sleep/Wake buttons until you see the Apple Logo. This can take up to 15 seconds so be patient and don't release the buttons until the logo appears.

Try again to see if the problem persists.

The second problem is that if you bought an app directly on the iPad, it will not appear in iTunes until you transfer purchases. In iTunes with your device connected, click File > Devices > Transfer Purchase from <your device name>.

Mar 6, 2014 4:28 AM in response to Alfred DeRose

Thanks, this helps. The Apps were tapped until the X came up and delete was selected. So, they are deleted from the device for sure.

Have got the Spotlight search now and checked - they are not there.

They were visible in iTunes but are not now. 'Transferring purchases' does not bring them up.

OK, so they are gone.

But why can't I re-download them? Is it because they were free? Never have this problem with Google Play Store!!

Thanks

Mar 6, 2014 4:34 AM in response to Belleek

Yes, they need to be on the device already to transfer them to iTunes. Check these items:

1) You have the absolute most recent version of iTunes on your computer.

2) Reset your device as I suggested

3) Open the App Store on your iPad and search the apps you deleted. You should see a cloud with an arrow. This means you purchased it (or got it when it was free) and can download it again.

Note that this is true ONLY of apps still available for sale in the App Store. It is always good practice to keep backups in iTunes on your computer in case an app is taken out of curculation by Apple or the developer.

Re-downloading Apps

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.