Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

(Error code -36) - Disk Not Ejected Properly

Recently updated my mid-2010 iMac to OSX 10.9.2. After which, I am now getting the following error message when copying files from the iMac to an external hard drive, "The Finder can’t complete the operation because some data in “xxxx.jpg” can’t be read or written". (Error code -36). I was previously able to copy files but now I can't. I ran the Disk Utility Verify Disk on all of my external and iMac drives and there doesn't appear to be any issues with them.

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2), 27 inch Mid 2010 i5 with 16 gb ram

Posted on Mar 6, 2014 6:32 AM

2 replies

Feb 26, 2015 3:22 PM in response to r0ckstarshane

I am getting the same errors with Yosemite 10.10.2 using a Late 2012 Mac Mini. I'm using an Icy Dock Blizzard external case connected with USB 3.0 and I have a 6.0TB WD Red HDD installed. I am a photographer and I keep my work files on this drive. I have a duplicate setup that I use for backup, but I can not afford to be working on a project, have the disk unmount itself and I lose my work.

Any information on this would be helpful.

Feb 26, 2015 4:00 PM in response to ApertureXTC

Look at the way all your usb devices are connected by what type of usb cable or extension. One by one. What I found is this:

I own the older Apple plastic extended usb keyboard which came with an Apple supplied usb extension cable. Currently I don't use the plastic keyboard, my wife does. I now use the Apple aluminum extended keyboard BUT without the Apple supplied usb extension cable. I used for years the extension cable associated with the plastic keyboard. I've always had minor usb problems but wit the newer Macs, i.e. TB2 , etc now my externals get ejected needlessly, thunderbolt Display shows one half screen, OS X does not complete it installation, mouse pointer jumps randomly, thunderbolt Display stays black, etc, etc

I spent one entire day working with the two TB ports on the rMBPro and connecting only one device at a time then restart and sleep and wake. I then isolated the problem to each TB port independently. The root cause was the use of the older Apple supplied usb extension cable with the Apple aluminum keyboard. Comparing both extension cables, there is a difference. I've always wondered over the years why the newer usb extension cable never fit the plastic keyboard but the older usb extension cable did fit the aluminum keyboard. It does but now I realize too loosely.

Maybe this story of experience will open some thoughts as to your setup problem. Since i've corrected this connection issue I have ZERO issues.

(Error code -36) - Disk Not Ejected Properly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.