Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to connect Yamaha E433 keyboard to iMac

I have a Yamaha PSR-E433 keyboard and can't seem to get it to connect to my iMac

I have a cable plugged into the midi terminal on keyboard and usb end in computer.

Maybe I don't understand what is supposed to happen when I connect. I am trying to take a lesson but nothing happens on the computer when I play. I have read where you need a USB audio/midi interface cable. Think that is what I have.

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Mar 6, 2014 6:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 6, 2014 7:10 AM

Open Audio Midi setup utility. Press Command + 2 to open Midi window. Does the keyboard show up in the window?

6 replies

Apr 18, 2014 12:36 AM in response to RoydenfromMB

But where to go from here? I'm having a problem with Garageband 10.0.2 - I cannot get the keyboard controller (an Acorn Masterkey 61) working, when it worked perfectly - plug and play - in the earlier incarnation of Garageband, before the Mavericks update.

It was all very simple - plug the keyboard into the USB, fire up Garageband, and Bob's your uncle. Everything working great. Just the opposite tonight. Inputs are correct, midi utility detects the keyboard, keyboard/musical typing is returning a signal, but my keyboard controller simply is not. I've troubleshooted (er, troubleshot) everything, and just can't get the thing to work. And I really don't think it's my cable.

Sadly, there's a dearth of information about hooking up midi keyboard controllers in Garageband 10, but plenty of the for the old Garageand, but that's no help. Any thoughts would be welcomed and appreciated.

Apr 18, 2014 12:59 AM in response to Meltreger

Contact the manufacturer and ask, if there is a driver update for Mavericks. I looked at the web site http://www.acorn-instruments.com/usb-keyboards/Masterkey-61

and the hardware specs for the software are listing still PowerPC or later. So it is unlikely, that the software is 64bit software as required by GarageBand 10.0.

GarageBand for Mac (v10.0): Unexpected behavior with Audio Units plug-ins

Apr 18, 2014 8:34 AM in response to léonie

Thank you - the 64 bit information is just outside of my realm of technical prowess. This particular keyboard doesn't require a driver, it's always been a plug and play situation, but I'm now thinking I'm 32 bits short. I contacted customer service and I hope there's an update, I only just got this midi only a few months before the Mavericks/Garageband updates! Thanks so much for your help.

How to connect Yamaha E433 keyboard to iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.