Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Recover Accidentally Deleted Commands in Terminal

I'm trying to do a certain set up on my Nintendo 3ds system using wifi on my Mac OS X desktop and in order to do it I'm suppose to put in certain commands in the terminal, but I made a mistake and pressed backspace and accidentally deleted my commands in my terminal box. I'm new to using terminal and I have not emptied my trash. What can I do to get it back?

Posted on Mar 6, 2014 7:25 AM

10 replies

Mar 6, 2014 8:43 AM in response to Anonymous_Girl

In addition if it is the command you want to get back typing ^p (control p) will step back throught the history one command at a time placing the command at the prompt ready to run.

However if all you ever did was enter the command and then delete it and never actually ran it it will not be in the history.

Let me ask why not just type in the command again?

Mar 6, 2014 10:53 AM in response to Anonymous_Girl

OK that is not right! That is wha the terminal looks like before the shell starts up.

I can;t tell is that you're whole desktop or a section of it? There is no menu bar showing.

Is the Finder running?

Without knowing what you typed in or what exactly happened it's difficult to say what's going on.

I'd try quiting Terminal and trying to open it again. If that doesn;t help log out and back in (a reboot wouldn't hurt) and see if the problem changes.

Mar 6, 2014 11:21 AM in response to Anonymous_Girl

You typed something into the terminal and you have no idea where you got the original command from and you have no idea what you typed. Now the screen shot you post is pretty messed up. Not really sure what you expect especially if you wont answer the questions asked or try the steps suggested.

The terminal can be a dangerous place especially if you are not sure what you are doing. Typing in commands that you have no idea what they do or where they came from is a recipe for disaster.

Wish I had more

Good luck

regards

Recover Accidentally Deleted Commands in Terminal

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.