Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Erasing all data on a MacBook Air.

I'm about to inherit my son's almost new MacBook air to replace my tired MacBook Pro.

However he's a doctor and I've assured him I will erase all the data on the Air when I receive it as some is confidential patient data.

Fine but the Air doesn't have a disc slot so how do I go about erasing everything securely and then re-installing from My MacBook Pro's Time Machine.

Thoughts?

Guidance ?

Ta.

🙂

MacBook Pro (15-inch Early 2008), OS X Mavericks (10.9), MacBook Pro 4,1 4 Gb RAM

Posted on Mar 6, 2014 6:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 6, 2014 6:52 AM

Welcome to Apple Discussions

One way would be to have your son create a new Administrator account before he passes you the machine. By logging into that account he can delete his old account. Also he should deauthorize the machine so that it will bind to a different users (yours) Apple ID

9 replies

Mar 6, 2014 7:28 AM in response to David Graeme-Baker

You reinstall the OS on the wiped drive... then when you start up your erased Mac for the first time, the Setup Assistant asks you if you would like to restore from backupand you follow the steps.

OR If you've already set up your new User account, you can use the Migration Assistant (located in Applications/Utilities) to do the same thing.

Added link to TimeMachine information

Message was edited by: themachead

Erasing all data on a MacBook Air.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.