Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How Do I Investigate Possible Fraudulent Itunes Charges?

Yesterday my debit card (the card I have on file in my itunes account) was tagged with 13 identical charges of $9.90 that I didn't authorize.

I logged into my Itunes/Apple Store account and there are no such purchases in the order history today.

Reporting this as fraud to my bank will create a lot of work for me and before I do so, I'd like to find out what was purchased on my card and, if possible, where the purchase was made from.

Is this possible? Or should I simply report the charges to my bank?

Sidenote: spending 45 minutes hunting Apple for a direct billing fraud number or even any insight on a procedure to investigate fraud proved to be fruitless and frustrating. Even a nice "We do not assist with purchase investigations, report all possible fraudulent activity to your banking/credit institution" would be nice in an FAQ somewhere.

iPhone 5s, Windows 7

Posted on Mar 6, 2014 8:25 AM

5 replies

Mar 6, 2014 8:34 AM in response to roaminggnome

Thanks, but clicking that link goes to a page with dozens of links, none of which get me to a place that makes sense to request that information.

The charge on my bank account says: APL*APPLE ITUNE and the last four digits of my debit card.

I tried calling the number, but every option involving itunes says to go to http://www.apple.com/support/itunes/contact/ and then hangs up on me promptly.

If I go to my account in itunes and to the section to report problems with purchases, it only shows purchases in my account and will only let me report problems with those, all of which are legitimate.

I found no contact form or link or number anywhere for reporting fraud or investigating purchases made on a credit card not associated with my itunes/store account.

Any other suggestions?

Mar 6, 2014 8:44 AM in response to Highforge

"Thanks, but clicking that link goes to a page with dozens of links, none of which get me to a place that makes sense to request that information."

It takes you to a page where you can click Contact itunes support. There is no telephone support for itunes, you use the Contact itunes link.

"

The charge on my bank account says: APL*APPLE ITUNE and the last four digits of my debit card."

Yes, but it could be a fraudulent name, not from Apple at all.

Mar 9, 2014 12:53 PM in response to Highforge

Here's the direct link for this specific issue:

https://getsupport.apple.com/Issues.action

I requested a callback and they called back in 5 minutes and were able to look up the charges based on the credit card (since the charges werent showing up on my Apple ID account). They quickly determined they were fraudulent (someone created multiple accounts from another state and charged my card multiple times from all of the accounts at the same time) and they started processing a refund while I called my bank to report stolen card info.

Once I found the right link it went smoothly. Thank you.

How Do I Investigate Possible Fraudulent Itunes Charges?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.