Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot Delete Films

Hi Everyone. I have bought a 2nd hand first generation(silver) ATV. Whoever had it before me has left 58 films on it. The hard drive space is nearly all used up. I don't know how to delete them. Can anyone help please? Thanks

Apple TV

Posted on Mar 6, 2014 11:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 6, 2014 11:22 AM

Have you tried recoverying your Apple TV using iTunes and an USB cable?

You will "format" it and install the latest (or reinstall it if you already have it) firmware.

See if it works.

13 replies

Mar 6, 2014 11:40 AM in response to weaver57

The factory restore I posted will delete everything and let you set it up fresh:

Apple TV (1st generation): How to perform a factory restore

You can restore an Apple TV (1st generation)'s software from the main menu by selecting Settings > General> Reset Settings > Factory Restore.

An Apple logo appears with a progress indicator underneath it. Do not unplug the power cable from your Apple TV (1st generation) during the restore process. Your Apple TV will automatically restart when the restore process is complete.

You can also access the restore option and diagnostic software from the Apple TV Recovery screen. See How to run diagnostics for steps to access this.

Note: Using the Factory Restore will erase the network settings and any video, music, and photos stored on your Apple TV. You will need to set up a network connection and resync with iTunes to restore your content after the Factory Restore has completed.

Mar 6, 2014 12:01 PM in response to weaver57

The films were put there from another iTunes library. To remove only some of them you would need to sync to the same iTunes library, which you don't have. The previous owner really should have reset the device before getting rid of it.

Futhermore, to keep the films that are on there, you will never be able to sync with your iTunes library. Like all iOS devices, it can only be linked to one iTunes library and it is already associated with one (not yours). Trying to sync would ultimately wipe the content from the device and replace it with the content in your iTunes library.

That being said, it is best to just start fresh and set it up to your liking.

(From the main menu, select Settings > General> Reset Settings > Factory Restore)

Cannot Delete Films

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.