Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My niece got an ipod touch 3rd generation for her birthday and when i try to download apps it say they are incompatible

I have been trying to set my nieces ipod touch 3rd gen. up for her and download apps. When i try to download apps it says the apps incompatible. How can i make it compatible????????

Posted on Mar 6, 2014 10:29 AM

4 replies

Mar 6, 2014 10:35 AM in response to whyisitsuchaheadache

Unfortunately you will be very limited in what you can do. The iTouches are up to generation 5, which runs iOS7. Generation 4 maxed out with iOS6 and while I can't find the list, I'm sure a 3rd generation maxes out at iOS 4 or 5.

WHich means there will be not many apps that may be backwards compatible

You can find out what iOS you have by going into settings, general and there should be something like 'about this device' which can tell you its operating system.

Mar 6, 2014 10:36 AM in response to whyisitsuchaheadache

To more easily find compatible apps:

iOSSearch - search the iTunes store for compatible apps.

Apple Club - filter apps by iOS version.

Starting when iOS 7 was released, Apple now allows downloading the last compatible version of some apps (iOS 4.2.1 and later only)

App Store: Downloading Older Versions of Apps on iOS - Apple Club

App Store: Install the latest compatible version of an app

You first have to download the non-compatible version on your computer. Then when you try to purchase the version on your iPod you will be offered a compatible version if one exists.

Also do you really have a 3G iPod? A 3G can go as high as 5.1.1 while the 2G can only go as high as 4.2.1. They looking identical on the outside

Identifying iPod models

iPod touch (3rd generation)

iPod touch (3rd generation) features a 3.5-inch (diagonal) widescreen multi-touch display and 32 GB or 64 GB flash drive. You can browse the web with Safari and watch YouTube videos with Wi-Fi. You can also search, preview, and buy songs from the iTunes Wi-Fi Music Store on iPod touch.

The iPod touch (3rd generation) can be distinguished from iPod touch (2nd generation) by looking at the back of the device. In the text below the engraving, look for the model number. iPod touch (2nd generation) is model A1288, and iPod touch (3rd generation) is model A1318.

Mar 6, 2014 10:36 AM in response to whyisitsuchaheadache

If the apps you want to download require a version of iOS higher than 5.1.1, which is the last version a third-generation iPod touch can run, then there is nothing you can do as regards running those apps.

Here's a tip from another user that may help you find apps that are still compatible, though:

"I was running into the same problem trying to find apps for my daughters Iphone 3g running 4.2.1. What I did was go to the Itunes store through Itunes on my PC, and then went to the bottom of the main page and clicked "Browse." On the browse page I selected, App Store, Games (category), Kids (subcategory), and then a list of apps appears below.

I sorted by date (oldest to newest) by right-clicking next to "price" and choosing "release date" on the menu that pops up. The date created field will then be showing, which you can click on to sort newest to oldest or oldest to newest. I downloaded a bunch of free apps starting from the oldest (by name - you don't have much else to go on). Of the 30 or so I added to my Itunes, about 27 of them were compatible with 4.2.1.

This is defintely not a perfect way of finding apps, but after spending a lot of time searching for a better way this was the best I could come up with."

You can also check out these web sites:

https://sites.google.com/site/appleclubfhs/support/advice-and-articles/finding-a pps-for-older-devices

http://findoldapps.com

Other posts may provide other tips on how to look for compatible apps.

Regards.

My niece got an ipod touch 3rd generation for her birthday and when i try to download apps it say they are incompatible

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.