Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Mini going crazy!! Screen is moving and randomly selecting on its own.

My iPad mini has started to randomly make selections and move the screen on its own. I've updated the OS 7.0.6 and rebooted several times, cleaned the screen, still driving me crazy. Any ideas?

The issue is not consistent, it comes and goes. Imagine someone remote managing your iPad! and controlling from remote, except they aren't making rational moves or selections. When I touch the screen it starts zooming randomly like a pinch.

iPad, iOS 7.0.6, Mini 16G Wi Fi

Posted on Mar 6, 2014 5:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 19, 2017 8:38 PM

This same glitching problem has been happening to my iPad mini for about a year now. I just took it into the only Apple Store in my area and the guy did a diagnostic test and said it did not show a hardware issue so he did a factory reset through iTunes. After the reset, he did another touch test and the iPad finally responded as it should. Well, things appeared to be fixed until I tried to use it at home; it started going nuts again. It's not under warranty anymore and I was told it would cost money for apple to replace it, but wasn't told how much. Guess I'll be going back to Apple tomorrow. Sigh .

37 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 19, 2017 8:38 PM in response to Wkc19

This same glitching problem has been happening to my iPad mini for about a year now. I just took it into the only Apple Store in my area and the guy did a diagnostic test and said it did not show a hardware issue so he did a factory reset through iTunes. After the reset, he did another touch test and the iPad finally responded as it should. Well, things appeared to be fixed until I tried to use it at home; it started going nuts again. It's not under warranty anymore and I was told it would cost money for apple to replace it, but wasn't told how much. Guess I'll be going back to Apple tomorrow. Sigh .

Jan 27, 2017 11:42 PM in response to Keebler_99

Had the same problem developed over the last few months. Very noticeable, though not only, when playing spider solitaire (free game) when it would start playing! Removing my moves and making new ones. Problem completely solved when I removed spider solitaire. Don´t have any downloaded games on my ipad mini. What a relief! Try it.

Jan 28, 2017 3:20 AM in response to lanucia

I'm not sure its to do with an app like spider solitaire, in fact a lot of us don't have it. if its just on a single app then delete it and re download. if it happens again tell apple and the app developer about what happening! however for people like me who have it when they just turn on the their i device, i still recommend going to repair it!

Mar 6, 2014 5:48 PM in response to Keebler_99

Rebooted by holding down on the sleep and home buttons at the same time for about 10 seconds kind of reboot? That didn't work? No cover or screen protector on the iPad that could be causing problems?

Have you closed all apps and then reboot/reset the iPad? I don't hold out a lot of hope that it will be this easy to fix, but it's an easy thing to try next in the unlikely event that some app has gone bonkers and it causing the problem.

In order to close an app - drag the app up from the multitasking display. Double tap the home button and you will see apps lined up going left to right across the screen. Swipe to get to the app that you want to close and then swipe "up" on the app preview thumbnail to close it. Close every app this way.

Reset the iPad by holding down on the sleep and home buttons at the same time for about 10-15 seconds until the Apple Logo appears - ignore the red slider if it appears on the screen - let go of the buttons. Let the iPad start up.

Mar 7, 2014 7:37 AM in response to Demo

Demo,

I've tried this before, and it does help. It will keep the Grimlins at bay for a few days/weeks. I just need to know if this issue is tied to saftware or hardware? Is this something I should take to the Apple store and demad for a replacment under warranty? Or, is this something in one of my Apps that will do exactly the same on a new iPad once restored?

Its sounds more like software/app driven problems, but looks like hardware. Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks for the info, I have no doubt it will help someone having the same issue, before they pitch thier iPad out the window or shatter it on the floor.

Mar 7, 2014 8:09 AM in response to Keebler_99

If closing all of the apps and rebooting does keep things at bay for a few days, you might be a software issue that could be ultimately resolved by deleting the problematic app, if you can pin down which app it is. That might be easier said than done,

There have been other users that have reported "ghost touching" in other discussions, and in some cases (IIRC) it turned out that the iPads were defective and were replaced by Apple. I think that you owe it to yourself to take a trip to an Apple Store and ask them to take a look. Make an appointment with the Genius Bar and backup everything before you go in case they want to work one of their magical restores.

May 23, 2014 5:26 AM in response to ijeldakroury

Sorry for the delay, I took my iPad to the Apple Store (about a month ago), and explained what it was doing. The staff didn't ask me to replicate it, nor did they question my sencerity, he just asked if I had backed up everything. Two minutes later he returned with a brand new iPad Mini!! Now that part of the experience was outstanding. However, if your not familiar with Apple Sore support, MAKE AN APPOINTMENT!!! I had to wait 3hrs to be seen (earliest walk-in appointment), lesson learned, and will not be repeated.

Aug 8, 2014 8:36 AM in response to Keebler_99

Yes, I got the first iPad mini (original model non-retina) and about 10 mos later, it started to have this problem - tried resetting, clearing out all the Apps, etc...nothing worked. I went to the Apple store and within two minutes they replaced it with a new one (same model - non-retina). I considered that excellent service, the new replacement worked perfectly. Unfortunately it is now about 10 mos later and the new replacement is having the same problem. Neither unit had any water damage whatsoever, nor were they ever dropped - yet but both are having the same problem.

The original warranty has expired and so there does not seem to be any recourse from Apple. And if I pay for a repair - it seems it is likely to develop the same problem.

I read online that some people suspect that somehow condensation forms inside when the temperature changes from cold to hot and that is what is causing this problem. It was suggested in an online forum to try heating the unit under a blow drying - I guess to evaporate the moisture. That seems far fetched and very risky. I have not tried that and i do NOT recommend it. However, I guess if you are prepared to throw away the unit anyway, then it may be worth a final gamble.

I am curious if anyone had found a cause for this problem or a fix?

The real question for me is - should the next tablet I buy be an apple product or another brand?

Oct 8, 2014 5:35 AM in response to Keebler_99

I have the same exact problem. It's really annoying when you are watching a home exercise video and suddenly the video switch to another video. Since it is still under waranty, I took it on the store where I bought it and at store the the ipad mini seems not feel showing off. But the store people are so nice, that they still send the unit to apple. They say It will take a month for them to return my ipad mini. I found this video on youtube that has the same problem as mine. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCpNnsKYOxg

iPad Mini going crazy!! Screen is moving and randomly selecting on its own.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.