Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro 13" Late 2013 Fan Not Speeding Up

I just got my MBPr i5 late 2013 a few days ago and I noticed that the fan never speeds up. I have downloaded macs fan control, as I do on all my macs and the fan never speeds up unless I set it to a constant rpm. I've purposly stressed my computer and saw the temperature shoot right up to 95 degrees celcius, and the fan speed always stays at the minimun of ~1295 rpm. No matter what I do I cant get the fan to speed up under automatic control. Is there something I can do, or should I just contact Apple Care?

Another note is that ever since updating to 10.9.2 I cant access any network drives or use airplay(which I can do from my other mac). Is this a normal issue with 10.9.2?

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013), OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Mar 6, 2014 5:49 PM

11 replies

Mar 6, 2014 8:26 PM in response to nubnubz3215

With Fan Control, you should be able to vary the fan, and I don't think that the app is at fault. It is not a normal thing for 10.9.2. Since having control over the temperature is crucial with the Retina, I suggest visiting your Apple Store for a checkup.

Before that, make sure you've done the minimum: reset the PRAM, perform a power reset, and check your permissions. Make sure you've backed up fully before visitng the Apple Store.

Apr 27, 2014 12:39 AM in response to davidmthekidd

Yes, i bought the same $2599 Version.

I even tried two of them.

They all run super hot. Especially with chrome. Something is not optimized here.

I tried to watch some videos online using battery. It lasted 4 hours.

It was running hot all time.

I wish it could run like my bro's 2013 macbook air 13".

It runs cold regardless of using chrome or whatever.

The only time it gets warm was when i was rendering.

And it lasts like 10 hours.

I am still can't decide on keeping it.

I bought it for portability and power, but poor battery seems like giving me not much portability like the air.

Macbook Pro 13" Late 2013 Fan Not Speeding Up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.