Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Black screen after startup my computer shows a the gray apple loading screen the screen blinks becoming darker gray then it just flashes black skipping the login screen them it displays a black screen with the mouse pointer in the upper right hand corner?

I have tried holding the shift key and even started up in recovery mode and reinstalled mavericks!

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Mar 6, 2014 8:30 PM

3 replies

Mar 9, 2014 8:42 PM in response to gfamily408

I have this problem too. During boot I see a gray Apple logo with a spinning cog, a gray Apple logo with no spinning cog, and then a black screen with the arrow cursor in the upper left had corner. I can move the cursor but nothing happens.

I have reinstalled Mavericks.

I have booted using the following to no avail:

D for Apple Hardware Test

Option -Command=P-R to Reset NVRAM

EJECT F12 to Eject any media

Shift for Safe boot

Command -V for Verbose

Option -N to start from netboot server but don't have one

Black screen after startup my computer shows a the gray apple loading screen the screen blinks becoming darker gray then it just flashes black skipping the login screen them it displays a black screen with the mouse pointer in the upper right hand corner?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.