Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Nikon D4s Update ETA?

Would anyone know when the ETA for the Nikon D4s RAW (NEF) files compatibiliy update would be?

Just finished two straight days of shooting to find I cannot see or edit the photos on my Mac.

Aperture 3, Mac OS X (10.6.8), iMac 27" late 2010 - i7 Quad

Posted on Mar 6, 2014 9:38 PM

36 replies

Mar 6, 2014 11:02 PM in response to dancarson

The raw format for Nikon D4 has been supported since more than a year, see: http://www.apple.com/aperture/specs/raw.html

Only, with Mac OS X (10.6.8), your system is not compatible. The raw support for Nikon D4 is part of MacOS, and has been introduced with Lion v10.7.4, see this list http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4757

So you will have to upgrade the system to at least OS X Lion v10.7.4.

If your Mac is compatible, you could upgrade from 10.6.8 to Mavericks for free.

Sorry, misread that as "NikonD4's".

The new NikonD4s is not supported, and Apple does not announce the release dates of new raw support in advance. But still, if your system really is MacOS X 10.6.8, as your profile signature states, you will have to upgrade to a newer MacOS X and Aperture version to be able to install the raw support, when it will be released.

Mar 6, 2014 10:59 PM in response to léonie

Hi Leonie,

Thanks for the reply but the Nikon D4 and the Nikon D4s is a different camera. The D4s is a newer camera and is not yet supported.

Sorry, the specs on my iMac and MacBook Pro are wrong in that post. Both running Mavericks 10.9.2.

I'm wondering when Apple are releasing the update for OSX / Aperture as Adobe already have one out which unfortunately doesn't help those of us using the Apple Pro workflow.

Thanks

Mar 6, 2014 11:08 PM in response to dancarson

See my edit above.

Apple just does not announce the release dates of new raw support in advance - we can only speculate, based on the observation that new Nikons and Canons are usually the first to be supported. It usually takes a few monthes, if the camera does not differ too much from the previous model. If the sensor changed considerably, it may take longer.

Mar 15, 2014 9:54 AM in response to léonie

That is certainly not acurate with regards to the Nikon D4. Aperture had an update that virtually coincided with the release of that camera. I've had my D4s for over a week with no ability to download. If I read these other posts correctly, Adobe is up and running with support for the D4s. Your either in the business of producing a "pro" app or your not, Apple seems to be triending toward the "not catagory".

Mar 16, 2014 9:10 PM in response to freddy654

Hi Freddy,

Agree with you on your points completely. Not much to add really.

At the moment, I'm using the Adobe DNG convertor to work on the D4s RAW files, doing the conversion straight from the card to the HDD.

http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/cameraraw8-4.html

(it's there, you just need to check the box in the middle of the page to open up the download)

Very frustrating to add this much longer step in order to use the photos in the field or desktop. Hampers the deadline workflow considerably but at least Adobe on onto keeping the professionals working.

Mar 17, 2014 8:34 AM in response to dancarson

dancarson wrote:

Adobe already have their updates available and working.

AFAIK, the only "updates" Adobe has available is an RC version of the DNG converter in Adobe Labs. Recent posts in the LR forums indicate RAW support is not yet available for the D4S in LR. Just curious where you are getting other information, or is the DNG converter what you are referring to?

Message was edited by: phosgraphis to clarify support in RC.

Mar 17, 2014 8:39 AM in response to phosgraphis

Phosgraphis

Yes, the RC version of ACR 8.4 works ( I'm using CC ) fine for the D4s in Photoshop and Bridge as well as enabling Photomechanic to work perfect as well. The ACR 8.4 is a download only affair, not an auto update but certainly not hard to find, install or use in any way at all.

My first few jobs with the D4s were done in Photoshop with 8.4 as Apple had / have no options and will be continuing to rely on that due to some client workflows specifically requiring Photomechanic and Photoshop. Others require Aperture cataloging which is where the weak point now lies and therefore using DNG converter 8.4.

If it wasn't for Adobe and their 8.4 set of ACR and DNG and having a CC subscription, otherwise you'd really be very stuck as a professional with the D4s.

I've also been told CaptureOne also works but not personally tried it.

Mar 17, 2014 8:49 AM in response to dancarson

Since it appears that the DNG format has to be used for any software except Photoshop CC to currently handle D4S RAW files, I'm wondering why Apple in particular is taking flak for this. Sure it would be nice if Apple were ahead of the game, but the same solution can be used with Aperture as with all the other software you mentioned, along with LR.

Just wondering.

Mar 17, 2014 9:06 AM in response to phosgraphis

So I'll bite...

The DNG software doesn't need to be installed to run Photoshop (CS6 and CC) or Photomechanic (or possibly CaptureOne as well).

It's a converter only, per file.

Adobe Camera Raw is what runs Photoshop's engine and always has. That has been addressed and quickly, very thankfully.

Photomechanic read the files from its last update, which was before the official release of the camera.

The D4s has been out for a while now as a prototype used by pros in the field, Adobe as a professional service provider used that period to create ready support for their clients.

Apple also has a professional user base. OSX at the moment cannot read the files of this camera (and maybe others) which in turn doesn't allow Aperture, iPhoto, Finder, pages, anything Apple to work at all natively.

Simply, Apple is behind the crowd in supporting professionals which is shame as their support is an operating system not a single item of software.

It would be interesting to know if Windows can read the files at this time? I have no idea on that one.

Mar 17, 2014 9:20 AM in response to phosgraphis

I'll take a crack at the why Apple is "taking flak" for this question.

As photographers we understand the need to have an efficient workflow / post processing system. These systems need to evolve to maintain competitiveness (or at least be in the vicinity), with the competition.

As an "Apple guy", if all else is equal, I would prefer to have that workflow in a native Apple application. Therefore, I personally, have always given Apple (and Aperture) the benefit of the doubt. I have given Apple the benefit of the doubt because in the past they have provided leadership and the desire to maintain a product that is (plus or minus) near the competition.

Why would I throw Apple under the bus for this? Quite simple, I have for the past year (two years) been seeing very little leadership from the Aperture team. Adobe haas demonstrated that Lightroom / Photoshop, etc. is the business that they want to be in, building application for professionals and advanced amateurs.

If you analyzed where Adobe is going to be with this software in 3-5 years, it's is my opinion, that they will be at the cutting edge. Where will Apple be with Aperture? I for one have no idea, completely out of the "pro market" is certainly a logical (if not likely) conclusion.

This lack of leadership / direction, call it what you want, forces me to second guess my decision to stick with Aperture. In analysis of this one issue (D4s raw files) Apple is silent, Adobe has put out a message stating the challenges they are facing, what they are doing in an attempt to resolve the issue. Is Adobe laying out a time frame for completion - no, are they over promising - no. But they are communicating and providing leadership. Are Aperture engineers working just as hard? I sure assume that they are, but if this was as important an aspect of their business as it is to Adobe, then they would provide better leadership.

Unfortunately, as I write this, I am coming to what for me is a very logical conclusion - I need to leave Apple (Aperture) for a competitor that takes my photography as serious as I do.

If others a coming to a different conclusion I would be interested to hear that opinion.

Mar 17, 2014 9:44 AM in response to freddy654

Not saying your comments aren't valid, because they are. But Apple's approach is the way it is, and beating up Apple for their lack of communication regarding the future of Aperture is beating a dead horse. This issue has been discussed ad nauseum here and elsewhere, and it appears all the griping isn't going to change Apple's silence.

This discussion started out with the lack of D4S RAW support. To keep things on a level playing field, it should be about LR vs. Aperture...the lack of support is the same for both and DNG has to be used for both.

Granted, OS X architecture does put Apple at a disadvantage when it comes to other applications. And as dancarson has asked, I too would be interested in whether or not other software can handle the D4S RAW format. Can you import a D4S NEF into Powerpoint, or Word?

Lastly, if you have a D4S this indicates you are likely a NPS member on a priority list to get one, or you one of the lucky ones that is working with pre-production models. IOW, you are the exception...the camera is not yet generally available. And as I'm sure you are aware, being an early adopter of new cameras, and any technology for that matter, comes with its own set of limitations and pitfalls. When the D4S is generally available for for a couple of months and Apple still isn't supporting it, then discussions like this are far more meaningful.

Nikon D4s Update ETA?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.