Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Have u upgraded to Mavericks?

I understand I can upgrade directly to Mavericks from snow leopard w/o pre loading lion& mt lion? Any trouble? Advice?

Thank you so much,

Sal

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Mar 7, 2014 12:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 7, 2014 2:48 AM

You can upgrade directly to Mavericks (which is free) provided your Mac meets the requirements, which are:

• OS X v10.6.8 or later
  • 2GB of memory
  • 8GB of available space

and the supported models are:

• iMac (Mid 2007 or newer)
  • MacBook (Late 2008 Aluminum, or Early 2009 or newer)
  • MacBook Pro (Mid/Late 2007 or newer)
  • Xserve (Early 2009)
  • MacBook Air (Late 2008 or newer)
  • Mac mini (Early 2009 or newer)
  • Mac Pro (Early 2008 or newer)

It is available from the Mac App Store (in Applications) (it will check whether your Mac is compatible and won't let you download it if it's not).

You should be aware that PPC programs (such as AppleWorks) will not run on Lion or above; and some other applications may not be compatible - there is a useful compatibility checklist at http://roaringapps.com/apps:table

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 7, 2014 2:48 AM in response to salspix

You can upgrade directly to Mavericks (which is free) provided your Mac meets the requirements, which are:

• OS X v10.6.8 or later
  • 2GB of memory
  • 8GB of available space

and the supported models are:

• iMac (Mid 2007 or newer)
  • MacBook (Late 2008 Aluminum, or Early 2009 or newer)
  • MacBook Pro (Mid/Late 2007 or newer)
  • Xserve (Early 2009)
  • MacBook Air (Late 2008 or newer)
  • Mac mini (Early 2009 or newer)
  • Mac Pro (Early 2008 or newer)

It is available from the Mac App Store (in Applications) (it will check whether your Mac is compatible and won't let you download it if it's not).

You should be aware that PPC programs (such as AppleWorks) will not run on Lion or above; and some other applications may not be compatible - there is a useful compatibility checklist at http://roaringapps.com/apps:table

Apr 5, 2014 5:03 PM in response to Roger Wilmut1

Thank you, Roger! I have a crazy busy life, or I'd have upgraded already. I want to remove ALL PPC apps as there are none that I use any more. I also have a couple of older macs that they are used on, but even that is unlikely.

That said, is there an easy way to get rid of all the PPC apps successfully? I don't wan't them hanging around and taking up space but be unable to remove them.

Thanks!

Apr 6, 2014 12:44 AM in response to salspix

salspix wrote:

... is there an easy way to get rid of all the PPC apps successfully?

In many cases you can just delete them, though the prefs files will remain (but these are very small and in any case you can delete them). There may be additional files in (user)/Library/Application Support which again you can delete. Some will provide an uninstaller (often as part of the installed) and it's worth using that.

Have u upgraded to Mavericks?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.