Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

t, y, u, i and o keys stopped working..

However they work at random times..

Studdenly they work then get stuck again and refuse to work.. is it a hardware issue?

Mac Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Mar 7, 2014 1:43 AM

3 replies

Mar 7, 2014 3:04 AM in response to Pro a Mac Pro

I had a theory on this one, having seen several posts like yours. But it's only a theory.

The posts almost always refer to a series of numbers that are set adjacent to one another on the key boards. Not scattered around as may be the case with spillages.

As these circuits are printed, it would not seem unreasonable to have the odd one, and out of such a large production it would be the odd one, where the printed circuit is slightly imperfect or dust in the air caused an imperfection. I guess if that were the case Apple would be responsible (certainly within the warranty period). But as I said, it is only a theory.

Mar 7, 2014 4:06 AM in response to seventy one

Thanks Seventy One!

Yes indeed read few posts with similar issues (t,y,u,i,o) keys get stuck when they feel like and work when they feel like.. i am sure the situation will deteriorate soon enough with them completely dying off on me..

Do you recommend opening it and giving it a good clean? if it was just the 1 key i would have tried that but 5 in the same row tells me its a hardware issue as you are pointing out..

Mar 7, 2014 4:14 AM in response to Pro a Mac Pro

Hello Pro a Mac Pro,

I would not recommend it. In any event, I understand they are glued together. I have to assume it is out of warranty and / or Apple care. I suppose if you decide to buy a replacement it may well be worth experimenting on by opening the case ... after all, there's no loss then 😀

Sorry I can't be more helpful than this.

t, y, u, i and o keys stopped working..

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.