Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help with best wired/wireless setup

Hello. I just moved into a 3 story townhouse and am hoping I can get some input on the best network setup. Here is some background on the connections I have and equipment.

Equipment:

• Airport Express (1 generation prior to current)
  • Time Capsule (3 generations prior to current)
  • Airport Extreme (1 generation prior to current)
  • Comcast Router

My house has been wired for Ethernet. In my basement the ethernet cables that go to the various rooms are connected to the comcast router. My idea was to have a router on each level. I'd like to use ethernet for most things but wifi for iphones and ipads. Right now I have my time capsule in the middle floor and the extreme on the top floor. The problem is, the idevices don't jump from router to router. Is that even possible?

Lastly, in my basement, I have 1 ethernet port but 4 devices I want to connect to that port. How can I accomplish this? A switch?

Sorry for my ignorance and thanks in advance. Please let me know if there are other details needed to assist.

-Jeremy

Posted on Mar 7, 2014 8:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 7, 2014 3:37 PM

My house has been wired for Ethernet. In my basement the ethernet cables that go to the various rooms are connected to the comcast router. My idea was to have a router on each level. I'd like to use ethernet for most things but wifi for iphones and ipads. Right now I have my time capsule in the middle floor and the extreme on the top floor. The problem is, the idevices don't jump from router to router. Is that even possible?

If you set up the roaming network correctly.. ie same name wireless, same security setting and password as per the standard roaming network instructions.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4260

Then some devices can hop towers nicely (Macbooks generally ok).. whereas iphones and ipads do not jump towers so well. (thinking of wifi like the 3G signal when you are out and about). The technology to jump from one wireless to another is established but some cards and drivers don't work as well as they should. If that is the case you have no choice but to manually switch off wireless and switch back on again.

Otherwise your layout is the best practice. Apple recommends roaming over wireless extend. And most wireless gurus do as it is far superior method.

Lastly, in my basement, I have 1 ethernet port but 4 devices I want to connect to that port. How can I accomplish this? A switch?

Yes, buy a switch. Let me recommend you actually buy a switch with enough ports for everything and have just one ethernet to the comcast router. So buy 8 port gigabit.. that should be enough.. if not then even a 16port. Using a single switch is the best way as it means all the devices are tied together with the best efficiency. Gigabit 8 port switch is a consumer item.. any big computer store will have them for $50 and pretty much any brand is just as good. Buy the Linksys or Netgear if you want longer warranty.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 7, 2014 3:37 PM in response to C0nstantAnxiety

If you set up the roaming network correctly.. ie same name wireless, same security setting and password as per the standard roaming network instructions.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4260

Then some devices can hop towers nicely (Macbooks generally ok).. whereas iphones and ipads do not jump towers so well. (thinking of wifi like the 3G signal when you are out and about). The technology to jump from one wireless to another is established but some cards and drivers don't work as well as they should. If that is the case you have no choice but to manually switch off wireless and switch back on again.

Otherwise your layout is the best practice. Apple recommends roaming over wireless extend. And most wireless gurus do as it is far superior method.

Yes, buy a switch. Let me recommend you actually buy a switch with enough ports for everything and have just one ethernet to the comcast router. So buy 8 port gigabit.. that should be enough.. if not then even a 16port. Using a single switch is the best way as it means all the devices are tied together with the best efficiency. Gigabit 8 port switch is a consumer item.. any big computer store will have them for $50 and pretty much any brand is just as good. Buy the Linksys or Netgear if you want longer warranty.

Help with best wired/wireless setup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.