Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine Auto Backup fails silently. Property list invalid?

Hi,

After a recent reinstall, I can't seem to make Automatic Time machine backups anymore.

The backup disk is remote, and the backup is encrypted.

Manual backup works perfectly.

However, if I try to change the automatic backup switch in system preferences to on or off, nothing really happens except the position of the switch. In both positions, it keeps announcing "Next backup in an hour" (see below).

Looking at system.log, I only see the following warning:

Mar 7 16:53:50 my.machine.adress backupd[793]: Property list invalid for format: 200 (property lists cannot contain NULL)

I looked at the file /Library/Preferences/com.apple.TimeMachine.plist, and could not see any "NULL" value.

Following https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5509168 discussion on that error message, I checked the list of excluded folder, and indeed found one which didn't exist anymore. I excluded it, but the problem stayed.

I then Trashed the plist file, rebooted, reconfigured TimeMachine with 2 existing excluded folders. Pressing "Yes" for automatic backup, I got the message:

Mar 7 16:07:11 my.machine.adress UserEventAgent[11]: com.apple.backupd-auto launchd job enabled

Mar 7 16:07:11 my.machine.adress backupd[358]: Property list invalid for format: 200 (property lists cannot contain NULL)

Mar 7 16:07:12 my.machine.adress backupd[358]: Property list invalid for format: 200 (property lists cannot contain NULL)

Pressing "No", I got:

Mar 7 16:07:17 my.machine.adress backupd[358]: Property list invalid for format: 200 (property lists cannot contain NULL)

Mar 7 16:07:17 my.machine.adress UserEventAgent[11]: com.apple.backupd-auto launchd job disabled

Mar 7 16:07:17 my.machine.adress backupd[358]: Property list invalid for format: 200 (property lists cannot contain NULL)

Any idea how to cure this?

User uploaded file
User uploaded file

MacBookPro Intel Core Duo 2.53 GHz, Mac OS X (10.6.6)

Posted on Mar 7, 2014 9:18 AM

4 replies

May 5, 2014 10:27 PM in response to Orj

I have this same issue, exactly as you have described it. I am also experiencing the wonky icons...where the green Time Machine icon is replaced by the blue shared drive icon (at least, that's what I'm thinking that icon is).

By any chance, are you running Parallels VM? I reinstalled Parallels and at about the same time started having issues. I haven't completely given up yet, but I have disabled the Time Machine backup for Parallels VM and will be rebooting to see if that helps.

Apr 25, 2015 4:35 AM in response to Orj

I just got this message:

Property list invalid for format: 200 (property lists cannot contain NULL)

It also caused a full backup. over the last few months, I have had many seemingly unnecessary full backups. And I am really tired of people sending me links to various "catch-all" web pages, that while offer some good info, do not address why I'm going through so many HD's just to keep Time Machine happy.

Thanks for any real advice or answers.

best

Time Machine Auto Backup fails silently. Property list invalid?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.