Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone 4 4.2.1 upgrade

Hey guys, i have a iphone 4 with version 4.2.1 and i want to update with a new version but without the ios 7...i've try it to search on google but all i find is only jailbreake...i don't whant to jail! all i need is the apps whatsapp, facebook, viber FBMessenger etc. social apps but for this i need a newer version of ios! there is possible to have a new IOS like 5, 6 without jailbreake?

iPhone 4, iOS 4.2

Posted on Mar 7, 2014 9:29 AM

15 replies

Mar 7, 2014 10:15 AM in response to Kalidon

iOS 4.2.1 was released November 2010. There has been ample time for anyone using an iPhone newer than a 3G to update their iOS to 5 or 6, when those were still available. And it's clear that this device is at least one year old, which means that the latest possible activation date was March 7th, 2013. That means that 6.1.2, at a minimum, was available at that time.

The only reason you're 'forced' into iOS 7 at this time is because no one updated the device prior to September 2013.

Be advised that any unauthorized modification to the device runs the risk of permanently voiding any and all support from Apple, and that includes using iTunes to restore or update the device, and potentially, even blocking any Apple ID used on the device from using iTunes or App Stores or any Apple services.

I advise against unauthorized modifications.

Mar 7, 2014 10:24 AM in response to Kalidon

Kalidon wrote:

so...you recomand me to update to ios7? from what i understand there is a risc to fail my phone when i update to ios7?...or my english understand is bad?

I have been running iOS 7 on my iPhone 4 (8GB) since about June of last year, with zero complications. The vast majority of iPhone 4 users running iOS 7 have no issues. Of the few that report problems, most are traced to an issue with the settings on the device (which will get reset to default, usually, after a major iOS update), and some are simply not happy with the look of iOS 7, not the functionality.

The decision is ultimately up to you, but I have experinced no issues whatsoever.

Mar 7, 2014 11:44 AM in response to Kalidon

Kalidon wrote:

understand but this force me to update to ios 7 what is not so good for iphone 4 have to much laggy, and other way is to jailbreake and i dont want this coz i've hear coz if you jail your iphone there will be no more an iphone...will appare problems...that's true? idon t know what to do...

My iPhone 4 running iOS 7 has never been laggy. Just like my 3GS running iOS 6 has never been laggy.

Iphone 4 4.2.1 upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.