Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Intermittent USB Audio Delay Playback - Please Help!

HELP! New MacBook Air

Problem: USB intermittent input delay - Using USB - VEC Infinity Foot Pedal.

Details: I am a medical transcriptionist. I use the foot pedal to play voice files the doctor sends to me. Here is the problem: Using Word for Mac 2011.

1. I press the foot pedal and the file starts to play (no problem).
  2. I lift foot OFF pedal to catch up with typing (no problem).
  3. I put my foot back ON pedal to resume playing and now there is a 10-20 second delay before the file stars to play again!!!!!! UUGGGHHHHH!!!!!!

Variables:

1. The beginning of the file NEVER delays.
  2. If I do not leave my foot off pedal for more than 2 seconds, there is NEVER a delay.
  3. The delay happens for periods of time and then seems to resolve for no apparent reason.
  4. When the USB audio play delay happens I have no delay in keyboard input or track pad input.
  5. I cannot reproduce the problem on demand. It has a mind of its own.

Things I have tried to resolve issue to no avail:

1. Repair permissions and repair disk in disk utility.
  2. PRAM and SMC reset.
  3. Reboot in safe mode (not sure how this would work anyway but I tried it).
  4. Reinstall Word for Mac.
  5. Changed to different USP port. Problem still happens.
  6. Replaced foot pedal, as well as tried different configurations for the driver.
  7. Checked activity monitor for suspicious activity or program crashes. Nothing.
  8. Reinstall Express Scribe. No help. Must use this program.
  9. Turn off virus protection and time machine. (Uninstalled Webroot). No help.
  10. Pull hair out, spin around 5 times, and kick the dog. No help.

I’ve thought about taking it in to the geek squad but I’m sure it wouldn’t do it for them and then I’m without my computer and unable to do my work. There is also the issue of patient information being compromised, so that is not an option unless I take everything off my computer. I hope someone can help me before I throw it out the window or my dog runs away.

Here is my computer setup:

Model Name: MacBook Air

Model Identifier: MacBookAir6,2

Processor Name: Intel Core i5

Processor Speed: 1.3 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 2

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 3 MB

Memory: 4 GB

Boot ROM Version: MBA61.0099.B07

SMC Version (system): 2.13f7

Serial Number (system): C17M3J7QF5V7

Hardware UUID: C8DBADEF-ED2C-5DD1-90DC-7B78F952D8C7

System Version: OS X 10.9.2 (13C64)

Kernel Version: Darwin 13.1.0

Boot Volume: Macintosh HD

Boot Mode: Normal

Vendor: Apple

Product: SSD Controller

Physical Interconnect: PCI

Link Width: x2

Link Speed: 5.0 GT/s

Description: AHCI Version 1.00 Supported

APPLE SSD SD0128F:

Capacity: 121.33 GB (121,332,826,112 bytes)

Model: APPLE SSD SD0128F

Revision: A222821

Serial Number: 134847400524

Native Command Queuing: Yes

Queue Depth: 32

Removable Media: No

Detachable Drive: No

BSD Name: disk0

Medium Type: Solid State

TRIM Support: Yes

Partition Map Type: GPT (GUID Partition Table)

S.M.A.R.T. status: Verified

Volumes:

EFI:

Capacity: 209.7 MB (209,715,200 bytes)

BSD Name: disk0s1

Content: EFI

Macintosh HD:

Capacity: 120.47 GB (120,473,067,520 bytes)

Available: 91.07 GB (91,072,827,392 bytes)

Writable: Yes

File System: Journaled HFS+

BSD Name: disk0s2

Mount Point: /

Content: Apple_HFS

Volume UUID: 96F7CB70-7A54-3E0C-A323-AB4294057B03

Recovery HD:

Capacity: 650 MB (650,002,432 bytes)

BSD Name: disk0s3

Content: Apple_Boot

Volume UUID: 2975D468-6F7A-3542-AD38-B79835F0E077

MacBook Air, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Mar 7, 2014 8:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 7, 2014 12:11 PM

Since it's new, you should be calling AppleCare about any concerns. The possibility of a hardware fault being the cause of what you describe is extremely remote, but please have them address that concern.

The next likely cause of the delay is likely to lie with the VEC Infinity Foot Pedal and its USB interface, Microsoft Word, Express Scribe, or the interaction of any one of them with others. The easiest thing to do is to try another word processor, for which there are an abundance of alternatives preferable to Microsoft's bloatware. Contact VEC to ensure their software is compatible with Mavericks, assuming that driver software is required for its use.

Please don't bring your MacBook Air or anything else of value anywhere near a Geek Squad, ever. After all they're probably the ones who had you install the totally useless Webroot garbage. Make sure all its remnants are permanently eradicated from your Mac. I recommend that you do not reinstall it or anything like it.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 7, 2014 12:11 PM in response to Darla719

Since it's new, you should be calling AppleCare about any concerns. The possibility of a hardware fault being the cause of what you describe is extremely remote, but please have them address that concern.

The next likely cause of the delay is likely to lie with the VEC Infinity Foot Pedal and its USB interface, Microsoft Word, Express Scribe, or the interaction of any one of them with others. The easiest thing to do is to try another word processor, for which there are an abundance of alternatives preferable to Microsoft's bloatware. Contact VEC to ensure their software is compatible with Mavericks, assuming that driver software is required for its use.

Please don't bring your MacBook Air or anything else of value anywhere near a Geek Squad, ever. After all they're probably the ones who had you install the totally useless Webroot garbage. Make sure all its remnants are permanently eradicated from your Mac. I recommend that you do not reinstall it or anything like it.

Mar 7, 2014 4:48 PM in response to John Galt

John Galt - Thank you for your suggestions. After I posted this question I decided to call Apple Support and they were extremely helpful. Apparently there is something called "App Nap". After going over my issue with him and he with his supervisor, he had me right click on the app (Express Scribe) in the app folder then click on 'Get Info'. There is an option in there to "prevent App Nap". I checked that box (obviously). So now it's a waiting game for me until I have more audio files to type to see if this resolved the problem. I sure hope so. I did replace my foot pedal with a new one, which was not cheap and was bummed when it didn't fix the issue. It does appear the app randomly goes into 'sleep' mode and then takes 10-20 seconds to reconnect. This would explain why when I don't keep my foot off the pedal for more than 3 seconds it never happens. I'll know for sure by next week when I get more files if this fixed it or not.

Now I'm curious as to what other word processors there are that are not Microsoft. I have a strong dislike for Microsoft so I'm interested in learning more about this. I do have some non-negotiable functions that have to work with any other word processor:

1. Must be able to save in word format (.doc, .doxm, etc.)

2. Must be able to import auto text, auto correct, and custom dictionary.

Would you be willing to throw out some suggestions? I would love to divorce Microsoft forever!

As far as the Geek Squad, I agree. I would cringe having to take anything to them but unfortunately I bought my MB Air from Best Buy so I thought I had no othre choice. There are no other Apple Stores nearby 😟 Yes, you are right, they did have me install Webroot and it was the biggest piece of $#%& I've ever seen. I had it on for about three days and then UNinstalled it with no intention of putting it back on. Wow, garbage!

Mar 7, 2014 6:59 PM in response to Darla719

I agree App Nap might cause that to occur. You see, I should have thought of that.

Would you be willing to throw out some suggestions? I would love to divorce Microsoft forever!

I got rid of everything Microsoft years ago and don't miss it at all. For word processing I use Apple's Pageswhich reads and writes MS Word formatted documents perfectly fine. It is very different than Word though, and can take some getting used to. It auto-corrects and you can easily add words to its dictionary.

As far as selecting a custom dictionary such as may be required for medical transcription that is probably an option, but off the top of my head I'm not sure how to do that. One of its experts in the Pages forum will know: https://discussions.apple.com/community/iwork/pages

Pages Help is here: https://help.apple.com/pages/mac/5.0/#/ where can read about some of its features. Its best feature is its integration with iCloud, but if that is not important to you consider the following:

LibreOffice (donation-supported)

NeoOffice ($10 from the App Store)

OpenOffice (donation-supported)

For medical report transcription, wouldn't it be easier to use OS X's Dictation features? I wonder how it would cope with the mumbling you probably have to transcribe, but it might be worth considering. That would be ironic, just turn on Dictation, start playing the doctor's tape, and walk away!

Sep 7, 2016 6:37 AM in response to Darla719

Thank you!!! This problem has been bugging me for months. Thought it was a problem with Express Scribe at first until I read about your post :-)

Intermittent USB Audio Delay Playback - Please Help!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.