Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Boot Camp on new Mac Pro (Late 2013)

I am stuck with a Boot Camp installation on a new Mac Pro.

I have tried Windows 8.1 Pro, Windows 8.1 Enterprise, and Windows Server 2012 R2. (Can't try Windows 7, obviously.)

All three give me this at the end of setup:

Windows could not update the computer's boot configuration. Installation cannot proceed.

I've tried letting the Boot Camp Assistant do everything, I've also followed the advice in several posts that suggest interrupting the process by booting back into Mac and using Disk Utility to format the Boot Camp partition as FAT, ExFAT, etc. All lead to the same error after rebooting to the USB drive and commencing with Windows setup.

Windows finishes the installation, seemingly, but it just doesn't seem to be able to update the boot data.

So, what's the trick? How did other MacPro6,1 users get Boot Camp paved? Is this a firmware update I'm going to need to wait for?

I tried support, it was a joke. Apple couldn't pass me off to Microsoft quick enough; and Microsoft couldn't pass me back to Apple quick enough. I think that's the most I've ever identified with a tennis ball.

Mac Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2), MacPro6,1

Posted on Mar 7, 2014 10:42 AM

6 replies

Mar 7, 2014 11:02 AM in response to AaronBertrand

same error, here was what worked for me on a nMP and rMBP:

rerun boot camp assistant to remove the windows partition (leaving only 1 mac journaled partition for your entire drive)

PRAM reset

open disk utility and repair permissions TWICE

restart boot camp assistant

note, only use a USB stick with ISO that you let boot camp assistant create, I could get no where with ISOs created elsewhere

Aug 9, 2014 11:41 PM in response to AaronBertrand

Works just fine. Thanks for advice! Windows 8.1 installed from USB flash drive -- nice and smooth.

PS

Instruction for PRAM:

1. Shut down your Mac.
  2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command (⌘), Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
  3. Turn on the computer.
  4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys before the gray screen appears.
  5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
  6. Release the keys.

Boot Camp on new Mac Pro (Late 2013)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.