Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help! Event content disappears, but still remains in Finder package

Hi guys,

I'm totally stumped here. It seems FCP 10.1.1 has some sort of bug that makes content disappear. Here is what has been happening:

I upgraded back when 10.1 was released, and everything seemed fine. Around 10.1.1 I decided I wanted to move some things around. So I would click on an event inside of a Library, and I would drag it into another Library. Sometimes it would work great. Sometimes FCP would freeze, beachball, and fail. Sometimes I would leave it for 30 minutes or so just in case it was just doing something. I would eventually have to Force Quit.

The problem? The events that were to be moved didn't show up in the libraries they were supposed to go to. Not in FCP, and not in the Finder. Instead, they stayed where they were coming from. In FCP, these events no longer had any content in them. Also, they lost the purple star that would be next to events. If I went to that same event inside of the Library (Show Package Contents) ALL content was there. All the clips, the transcodes, the originals...everything. Yet, FCP wouldn't "see" it or display it.

User uploaded file

I thought I had a workaround - copy the original files in those events to the desktop, then reimport them into a new event. Well, that does work IF it was an event that was waiting to be edited. But if it was mid-edit, of course, now all I have is the original clips, but no access to the project or edits.

And now, it seems to just "happen." I will quit FCP and then relaunch it again when I need it, and I will see another event or two in a library has lost its purple star and no longer has content in it! No idea why or what's causing it. I'm on a new Mac Pro, plenty of RAM (64GB), plenty of space, etc.

Additionally, when I quit FCP it's normally because the browser window stops updating. What I mean is, I am clicking around between events or libraries looking for clips to add to a project. Then, at some point (and this is random, haven't seen a patterns of it always occurring on any particular event) the browser gets "stuck" on an event. I can click on another event and it will be highlighted as active, but the browser window is still displaying the last event I was in. It isn't frozen, as I can still scroll, look at the clips, etc. At this point, no matter what other event I click on, I am "stuck" with the event browser displaying the contents of that event. So, then I have to quit the app and restart it...and I might find that another event has randomly lost all of its clips and projects.

Again - in the Finder if I go into the Library package and look in that event folder, EVERYTHING is still in there, nearly organized in the folder structure - yet there is nothing I can do (that I know of) to get FCP to see and display it.

Totally lost now, and scared to keep firing up FCP for fear or losing even more work...but yet, I have to because this is my job! Any help?

Mac Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2), Late 2013, 64GB RAM, 1TB SSD, D500

Posted on Mar 7, 2014 10:39 AM

16 replies

Mar 7, 2014 11:29 AM in response to drusoicy

This kind of problem seems to indicate that somehow the changes you made were not correctly registered in the library's database. This is stored inside the library in a file with .flexolibrary extension.

A possible solution is to force FCP X to rebuild it. This method has worked on several occasions, but of course there is no guarantee. You may want to make a copy of the affected library before attempting the following.

Locate the library in the Finder (control-click, Reveal in Finder);

Quit FCP X;

(At this point, you may want to make a duplicate of the library, just in case)

Control-click the library and "Show Package Contents"

Locate the .flexolibrary file and drag it out of the library

Restart FCP X.

If all goes well, FCP X will reconstruct the database from the contents of the library package.

Help! Event content disappears, but still remains in Finder package

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.