Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Prevent Aperture 3.5.1 from copying photos from iPhoto Library

Hi - I am very new to Aperture. Just purchased it yesterday night. The version number is 3.5.1. I already have many iPhoto libraries as I tend to create one per year otherwise they become too big.

When I read about the product on Apple's website, I got an impression that in Aperture, there was an option to import my existing iPhoto libraries but without Aperture physically importing the photos from my existing iPhoto library. There are also articles on Apple website that talk about an option in Aperture called 'Store Files' (and then choosing 'in their current location') which did exactly what I wanted i.e. create a master library in Aperture with all my photos but without physically importing them from the existing iPhoto libraries. I want to do it because I want to avoid creating one huge Aperture library with all my photos as it may slow down Aperture.

However, I couldn't find that option in Aperture. When I use File->Import->Library menu, I don't get the 'Store Files' option at all. However, I do see that option if I clicked on the import icon in the main screen. However, that option doesn't allow me to import iPhoto Libraries!

What am I missing ? Greatly appreciate any help that you can provide.

Regards,

Jeevan

Posted on Mar 7, 2014 6:11 PM

3 replies

Mar 7, 2014 8:43 PM in response to jdalvi

Hi Jeevan,

jdalvi wrote:

I would like to see all my photos, across all iphoto libraries, in one place in Aperture. But without importing them. How do I do that ?

You cannot.

Aperture, like iPhoto, loads only one Library at a time. Aperture shows you a Library. Each Library contains only those image-format files that have been imported.

You can either consolidate your Images into one Library (which is recommended, as it has several advantages, primary among them being able to see all you Images, and filter the whole set), or leave them in separate Libraries and open one at a time. Since Aperture and iPhoto share the same Library file format, you can open one Library in Aperture and a different Library in iPhoto.

Do not try to import individual _files_ that correspond to Images in any iPhoto Library. That will create a mess.

Aperture provides easy tools to store your Images' Originals on any directly connected storage device, and to move them when you want to.

I recommend that you download a couple hundred free JPGs and import them into a new Aperture Library. Read this. Work your way through the first seven chapters of the good User Manual. Using your test Library, learn how Aperture works, and experiment with Library structures you may want. At that point, you'll be ready to deal with the Images that are important to you.

We are fortunate to have an expert on both Aperture and iPhoto who posts here regularly, but who is currently, one supposes, asleep . Look for better responses tomorrow. Do not rush into merging your iPhoto Libraries.

HTH,

Kirby.

Prevent Aperture 3.5.1 from copying photos from iPhoto Library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.