Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I'm trying to create a Windows partition using Boot Camp. An error comes up telling me that I need to reformat my current partition(s) into one single partition. However, it's already formatted in the correct format, and is already a single partition.

As made clear in the title:

I'm trying to create a Windows partition using Boot Camp. An error comes up telling me that I need to reformat my current partition(s) into one single partition. However, it's already formatted in the correct format, and is already a single partition.

My computer recently had a kernel panic, which apparently the corruption was in the system and needed to be erased and re-installed. I have a complete back-up using an external hard drive, and I am definitely not willing to do another one of those to reformat a partition that is already singular. I restarted the computer after ejecting my back-up, and after turning off time machine (thinking that boot camp was recognizing it as a secondary partition), however the error still occurs.

Is there any way to get around this?

MacBook Pro, iOS 7.0.6, Recently erased and re-installed.

Posted on Mar 7, 2014 6:04 PM

10 replies

Mar 8, 2014 7:03 AM in response to Melophage

diskutil list:

/dev/disk0

#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER

0: GUID_partition_scheme *750.2 GB disk0

1: EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1

2: Apple_HFS Macintosh HD 749.3 GB disk0s2

3: Apple_Boot Recovery HD 650.0 MB disk0s3

/dev/disk1

#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER

0: Windows7 *2.9 GB disk1

diskutil cs list:

No CoreStorage logical volume groups found

mount:

/dev/disk0s2 on / (hfs, local, journaled)

devfs on /dev (devfs, local, nobrowse)

map -hosts on /net (autofs, nosuid, automounted, nobrowse)

map auto_home on /home (autofs, automounted, nobrowse)

/dev/disk1 on /Volumes/Windows7 (udf, local, nodev, nosuid, read-only, noowners)

From my very basic knowledge - it still looks as if there is only one partition (not including the windows 7 CD necessary to install the windows partition).

Mar 8, 2014 7:43 AM in response to sandrarosado

Can you remember the exact system erro that came up?

Please post a screen shot of a Disk Utility window with the top most entry in the left panel selected and the partition tab selected. And have all external drive disconnected.

Testing a drive on another Mac doesn't mean anything. It may not be the drive itself but the cable that goes from the drive to the logic board. This is a Known Weak Link in the drive chain. Could be the cable in your Mac is faulty.

Funny things happen when the cable starts to fail.

Mar 8, 2014 9:55 AM in response to LowLuster

User uploaded file

There is one thing that confuses me about this: It says the size of my partition is 749.3 GB, however the total capacity is 750.16GB. Could this have something to do with it?

Also there was an issue with the cable - they replaced the cable which allowed me to back up my data before they did the erase and reinstall. I'm not sure if they replaced the cable completely or only did it to save my data.

Mar 8, 2014 11:08 AM in response to sandrarosado

sandrarosado,

yes, diskutil list shows that you have a single partition, which should suffice for the Boot Camp Assistant to create the Windows partition.

The discrepancy between the 750.16 GB disk and the 749.3 GB partition is explained by the EFI (0.21 GB) and Recovery HD (0.65 GB) partitions, which are using that “missing” space; everything’s normal there.

The most likely explanations at this point are either that your new hard drive has a problem in its EFI partition, or that your internal SATA cable either wasn’t replaced or itself has a problem. In either case, taking it to your local Genius Bar would be your best next step. If you don’t want to do it for a second time this week, do it for the first time next week. 😉

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.