Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why won't my music sync from my iTunes library onto my iPhone?

My music won't sync from my iTunes onto my iPhone

iPhone 5, iOS 7.0.6

Posted on Mar 7, 2014 8:33 PM

9 replies

Mar 23, 2014 7:51 PM in response to mrembert01

I have this same problem. It is constantly recurring and after trying just about everything, I'm almost ready to give up.

Things I've tried, that have not worked:

1. restarting computer
  2. closing all open apps on iPhone before sync
  3. restarting iphone before sync
  4. syncing with wire
  5. syncing without wire (over wifi)
  6. converting the music files to another encoding
  7. dragging the music files individually onto the iphone in iTunes
  8. dragging a selection of music files
  9. putting music files in a playlist and adding that playlist

Does anyone have a solution?

Dec 5, 2015 5:56 AM in response to mrembert01

Had the same problem as many above - had to break the link with automatic icloud download in the end to allow the normal wire sync to take place. Crazy that Apple have tried to take our music source choice hostage like this. You pay the premium with Apple to be treated like an adult.

They need to get a grip. I wasted hours reading up, trying different options before I arrived at this, and if I wanted this sort of debacle I would save myself a fortune and buy an android mp3 player.

The shine has definitely worn off the Apple in my eyes!

Dec 5, 2015 6:20 AM in response to RobP15

The feature you are referring to, is just that, a feature introduced with iOS8. It requires no breaking of anything, simply setting the device to only show music physically on the device. Automatic iCloud download of purchases is something completely separate.

The "issue" that this thread refers to is something that has existed since the inception of iOS. I've seen reports of it as far back as iOS3.

Dec 5, 2015 8:51 AM in response to diesel vdub

I am sure there is a good technical explanation for all the problems on here, what irks me is that not every Apple product user wishes to become a tech geek in order to install and use their product for simple purposes as a phone and music player.

There was no obvious guidance or prompting anywhere in the process to help understand this particular setting issue and how to set it to work for my usage parameters, or anywhere to go except this thread to ask for it. I read all the user guides and numerous threads and had to try numerous different schemes to eventually find out the one that would work - just a sheer waste of time for want of some simple explanation or easy links.

This is not like the Apple of old, or why I started using their products in preference to cheaper alternatives, and it will affect future purchasing decisions. Reminds me of how Microsoft lost its way ie the users became an inconvenient obstacle.

Anyway - thank you all on the support forum for your help, its a relief to have it sorted.

Why won't my music sync from my iTunes library onto my iPhone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.