Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Am i the only one that noticed a smaller camera lens on the ipad air?

I was just wondering why apple would make their lens smaller on the ipad air from what it was before on the third and fourth generation ipad. If you have a ipad air and a third or fourth gen ipad compare the cameras on the back and you'll see that the air has a much smaller lens than the previous versions. Im just wondering why apple would do that? Doesn't bigger glass mean more light and better image? Why downgrade the size of the lens?

iPad (3rd gen) Wi-Fi, iOS 6

Posted on Mar 7, 2014 11:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 8, 2014 12:17 AM

Everything about the camera in the iPad Air is better than previous iPads. Read any reviews.

A smaller hole in the casing doesn't mean it is a downgrade in the camera module or lens.

5 replies

Mar 8, 2014 1:03 AM in response to dU2mDUifydkRa0E9ic5A

Im not saying the quality got better, from what i can tell and read both cameras take around the same quality photos. What I'm wondering is why make the lens much smaller than the previous two models? If they would have kept the lens the same size maybe an improvement would have been noticeable since larger glass means more light which in terms means better image. Its like if the iphone 5s would have had a much smaller lens than the iphone 5, but it doest, if you look closely and compare the two cameras of the iphones you'll see that the 5s lens nearly doubled in size. What i just want to know is why make the glass much smaller on the ipad air.

Mar 8, 2014 3:01 AM in response to Chris quintero

from what i can tell and read both cameras take around the same quality photos

Which "both cameras" are you referring to? There's been 5 models of iPad, 4 with a camera.

What i just want to know is why make the glass much smaller on the ipad air.

Only Apple could answer that with any certainty.

The size of the bit of glass covering the lens and sensor doesn't necessarily affect the light, unless the smaller hole was obscuring some of it - which obviously it doesn't. The glass could be thinner, or the sensor could be closer to it. Both of which would allow more or equal amounts of light as previous cameras. You can't determine the light level just by the size of the hole in the casing. There's alot more going on that just that.

I wouldn't get too worried about it - I'm sure Apple know what they are doing...

Am i the only one that noticed a smaller camera lens on the ipad air?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.