Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro with SSD (optibay) and HDD. Want to clean install with discs and move hard drives.

Hi all,

I have bought a used Macbook Pro 15' i5 Mid 2010 in brilliant condition. It came with original HDD in main Hard drive space and and SSD in an optibay. This all works fine and came with Mavericks already installed.

I want to start using the laptop like from new as there is nothing on there i currently need atm and dont want problems in the future with my apple id not being the original installer of mavericks. (had a similar problem previously on a used macbook white that had lion on)

What i want to do is erase and move the SSD to the main hard drive bay (have read this is preferred) and a clean install using install discs that came with it onto the SSD. Then install the HDD into the optibay or external enclosure and reinstall optical drive, not sure on that one yet.

My main questions are about the process i should use. There is nothing i need to back up or anything as this is effectively a new machine to me. Shall i simply erase the SSD (currently contains the OS) and install it in main hard drive bay and run install discs to install original OS (10.6.3)? Is it that simple? Any tips on erasing SSD would be useful also?

Also as the machine currently boots from the SSD that is in the optibay, is there anything that tells the machine to boot from that hard drive as apposed to the main HDD bay or does it just know? If there is, when i install the SSD into main hard drive bay how do i tell the machine i have done so and to boot from there?

The other thing i may do is buy a new SSD and do a new install on that and leave the current SSD in the optibay and use that for storage. Undecided on that yet.

Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks.

Sam

MacBook Pro

Posted on Mar 8, 2014 2:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 8, 2014 3:24 AM

Sam,

The process is pretty straightforward. Install your new (or the current) SSD in the HD bay and boot from the install DVD. Use Disk Utility to create a Single GUID partition, Mac OS X Extended (Journaled) NOT case sensitive. Exit Disk Utility and install the OS. When you're done, it should boot to that drive, but to be sure go to System Preferences / Startup Disk and make sure your SSD is selected as the boot drive.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 8, 2014 3:24 AM in response to samrichens

Sam,

The process is pretty straightforward. Install your new (or the current) SSD in the HD bay and boot from the install DVD. Use Disk Utility to create a Single GUID partition, Mac OS X Extended (Journaled) NOT case sensitive. Exit Disk Utility and install the OS. When you're done, it should boot to that drive, but to be sure go to System Preferences / Startup Disk and make sure your SSD is selected as the boot drive.

Mar 8, 2014 3:29 AM in response to samrichens

To do what you want, and the only way to do what you want legally and physically, you will need a set of Original System Reinstall DVD Discs. Without them you can't do what you want as the install of Mavericks that is now on it is TIED to the previous owners Apple ID and can not be transferred and or Reinstalled without knowing that persons Apple ID. And even iof you knew it it would still be TIED to that Apple ID and not yours.

So did the previous owner supply the Original System Reinstall DVD disc Set? If not you will need to order them from Apple.

Mar 8, 2014 8:00 AM in response to samrichens

If it is already formatted Mac Extended (Journaled) there is no need to erase and or partition and format it. you might want to check that it is set to GUID but it should be already, no harm in checking.

If you erase and or partition you will erase/remove all data that is now on it. You may be able to installl OS X on it without first erasing, not sure as that is soomething I've never done. Whenever I do a clean install of OS X I always erase and or repartition the drive it is goiing to be installed on.

Macbook Pro with SSD (optibay) and HDD. Want to clean install with discs and move hard drives.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.