Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

PB G4 won't wake up from sleep

I have a 15" PB G4 that I've had for about two years. Completely up to date on all software updates. Over the past few months, on occassion when I would open the cover after it had been asleep it would not wake up. Over the past couple of days, however, this has become consistent.

The computer is plugged it, so it should not be a battery issue. Also, when it goes into sleep mode normally the heat issue goes away as it does not consume much power, but now it gets very hot when it is supposedly in sleep mode. In addition, I notice that the pulsating light goes out after a period of time, so for some reason it seems to be going out of sleep mode and into some kind of freeze, but with the computer active because it gets hot.

I did read on an Apple help page that if it wakes up to a gray screen this could indicate USB conflicts, but if it just shows a black screen then you need to contact an Apple technicnian. Any ideas out there? Thanks!

Robert Turner

PowerBook G4 Mac OS X (10.4.7) 1GB, 80G HD, 1.5 GHz

PowerBook G4 Mac OS X (10.4.2)

Posted on Aug 12, 2006 1:59 PM

4 replies

Nov 21, 2006 8:54 PM in response to Infomaniac

G4 BPs, at least the Titanium models (sounds like you have an Aluminum), have always had some issues with waking up from sleep. With OS 10.4, right up to 10.4.8, the problem is much worse. I understand that in 10.4 the kernel was re-written and have wondered if that was part of the problem. I have also suspected Office Notifications and USB devices plugged in.

I have found no solutions.

With your PB running hot when it should be sleeping, it sounds to me like the processor is busy doing something. You might try checking some logs. I recall reading something about this sort of symptom, does not sound good. You might try a few of the other Mac sites.

PB G4 won't wake up from sleep

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.