Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

need information about backups

Hi, guys. I am lost with all readings about backups. I have 2 questions:

1. if i need to backup the entire internal disk (apps, mac os, files etc.) so i will have a copy in case i get my internal hard drive damaged during repair what kind of backup do I have to use?

2. if i need a backup that i would like to update some times. Say i backed up my files, then i worked for one month, and i want to update changes to my backup (kinda up to date) what backup do I have to use?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Mar 8, 2014 8:35 AM

3 replies

Mar 8, 2014 8:45 AM in response to DPJosephson

If you make a bootable clone using either CCC or SuperDuper that will be a copy of the entire system. So if you boot from the clone it will be exactly the same as your system drive when the clone was made.

I use SuperDuper and I have it schedule to incrementally backup weekly to keep the clone current on a weekly bases. I think you can do the same thing with CCC.

By the way a Time Machine backup is not bootable. To recover with a Time Machine backup it is necessary for you to first install the operating system.

Allan

need information about backups

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.