Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto and PhotoStream

I use PhotStream to upload photos from my iPhone to my MacBook. In iPhoto prefernces, I have turned on PhotoStream and enable automatic downlaod to events, faves, places, etc. Does this mean that I can delet photos on my camera roll on my iPhone, knowing that because of PhotoStream, the photos have been shared with my MacBook and automatically downladed to my folders? Or, are they temporarily there and unless I go through and save them they will be deleted after 30 days?

I'm trying to free up space on my iPhone and I have like 800 photos on PhotoStram and 600 on my camera roll. So, I'm looking to free up some space without permenantly deleting photos.

Thanks!

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.4.9)

Posted on Mar 8, 2014 8:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 8, 2014 9:41 AM

If your iPhoto/Photo Stream preferences are set up as follows:

User uploaded file

the photos will be imported into your iPhoto library and saved.

HOWEVER, always confirm that the photos have been successfully imported before deleting from the iPhone. Sometimes it takes a while before the photos get imported as the iPhone has to be connected to WiFi for that to happen.

OT

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 8, 2014 9:41 AM in response to Pollyprincess

If your iPhoto/Photo Stream preferences are set up as follows:

User uploaded file

the photos will be imported into your iPhoto library and saved.

HOWEVER, always confirm that the photos have been successfully imported before deleting from the iPhone. Sometimes it takes a while before the photos get imported as the iPhone has to be connected to WiFi for that to happen.

OT

Mar 12, 2014 9:01 AM in response to Old Toad

Thanks, that's excatly how I have it set up on my Mac.

Now, because I have 400-some photos on my iPhone camera roll and almost the same amount on my PhotoStream on my Iphone, can I delete the photostream photos off my iphone? I'm trying to free up space for music and so I can take additional photos.

Also, if I do remove photos from photostream on my iPhone, will they automatically appear again when I connect my phone to my computer?

I never had this problem until I got my new iPhone 5S In January. I synced it (and usually have everytihng set for manual so it won't overload) and there were 800 photos in my camera roll and photostream. Yikes!!!

Thanks again, and sorry for the late reply!

Mar 12, 2014 9:29 AM in response to Pollyprincess

Also, if I do remove photos from photostream on my iPhone, will they automatically appear again when I connect my phone to my computer?

No. However, if you add them to the Photo Stream from the computer they will appear in the PS on your iPhone but not in your camera roll where they take up space.

Or you can create Shared Photo Streams from your Mac and have them on your iPhone but stored on the iCloud servers.

iPhoto and PhotoStream

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.