Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

merge 2 time machine back ups on 1 back up drive?

I was running low on space on the USB drive I use to back up my Air, OS 10.6.5 with TIme Machine, and I had a new USB drive handy, so I just used the new drive. Now I have 2 USB drives and each has a time machine back up file, "Backups.backupdb"

I'd like to free up the first USB drive, and have the use of all of those old TIme Machine backups on the new drive.

It's clean up time, trying to reorganize my back ups and drives... is there any way to save the old Time Machine back ups from the old drive in usable format?

Thank you for any help

(btw, I do not want to upgrade to the latest versions of Mac OS's)

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.6.5)

Posted on Mar 8, 2014 9:22 AM

8 replies

Mar 8, 2014 11:25 AM in response to Rachel Corey

I've noticed that within the Backups.backupdb folder there are the backups by date. I can copy those and drop them in to the new Backups.backupdb folder, but something tells me that's not going to work.... I don't want to wreck my current back ups, so I wont do it yet. I am copying those folders to the drive in another folder. Hope someone can tell me?

Thanks in advance.

Mar 8, 2014 3:47 PM in response to baltwo

Funny you should mention... it was Pondini's TM FAQs that sent me here 🙂

If they answered this question, I missed it.

I have also read up on http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5096

But neither could tell me how to manage the back up files when I had already started another external drive as backup disk.

I am currently copying all the files from the original back up drive to the new drive under another folder, it's taken about 10 hours so far, estimates 6 hours more to go.

And on the apple bulletin, it said I should uncheck "ignore ownership on this volume", which I failed to note.

Thanks for the link though, its a great one. If I missed it there, (and I checked Troubleshooting too) please let me know?

merge 2 time machine back ups on 1 back up drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.