You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Remove messages from startup

I am trying to figure out how to disable Messages from startup completely. It is not listed in the user account "Login Items", probably because it is teid directly to to my Apple ID that is also configured with my user account.

I do not want to remove my Apple ID because I want it established for actions that I initiate. But I DO NOT want Messages to open automatically and un-initiated. Startup of Messages is MY choice. I want to choose whether or not it is open and accepting messages without having to manually quit the application every time I start my machine.

How can I accomplish this?

Posted on Mar 8, 2014 9:23 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 8, 2014 1:02 PM

Hi,

If it is not in Login Items then it because you are not quitting the app before you Shut down.

Using the red button to close windows in Messages does not Quit the app - it just hides the window.

The other thing to do is to Untick this tick box when you Shut Down.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

9:02 pm Saturday; March 8, 2014

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad
6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 8, 2014 1:02 PM in response to Wazatron

Hi,

If it is not in Login Items then it because you are not quitting the app before you Shut down.

Using the red button to close windows in Messages does not Quit the app - it just hides the window.

The other thing to do is to Untick this tick box when you Shut Down.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

9:02 pm Saturday; March 8, 2014

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Mar 21, 2014 2:14 PM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

Hi Ralph - this doesn't quite solve my issue. While I've been able to prevent messages from loading - technically - at startup, preventing it from adding to my boot time, I still can't seem to prevent the system from interacting with Messages being signed in with my apple ID.

I still get system Notifications of Messages through desktop popups and sounds, and of course I can see them stack up if I open the Notifications menu.

From there if I click on one then the full program loads and I can respond.

But my issue is I don't want to be interrupted by messages at all. I don't want to be forced to deal with the application loading on boot and I don't want to be interrupted while using other applications by people messaging me. This is what my phone is for, and if I want to engage in chats on my laptop then I'd manuall open Messages to do so.

Is there any way to prevent this?

Mar 21, 2014 2:27 PM in response to Wazatron

Hi,

Messages and FaceTime are "supported" by an App called IMagent which does start up and Computer start up.

This app effectively "listens' to alll the servers involved in those two apps.

It is this App that then invokes the App Start up if there are incoming invites or Messages depending on app.

In Messages this can be stopped in the General Section of the Preferences.

The pic was originally posted fro an AppleScript thing but see the Arrow.

User uploaded file

This should stop all the Notification items and the app launching when you don't expect it to.

However it also stop the DOCK badge from showing Unread Messages (as the computer never gets them now).

User uploaded file

9:27 pm Friday; March 21, 2014

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Apr 23, 2014 4:58 PM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

Hi Ralph thanks for the reply, sorry for the delay in being able to dig into it.

I've opened my Messenger prefferences to check things out.

First ofa ll this option is already checked, so it should be already setting me as offline when I quit messenger, yet I still get new messages pushed through when I'm using my MacBook.

Also these options are entirely grayed out so I'm unable to make any changes anyhow:User uploaded file

So in the end I still havent found a solutuion.

Apr 24, 2014 12:00 AM in response to Wazatron

As Ralph says, Messages is part of IMagent. I don't know a way to prevent it from loading at boot.

If you don't want to be disturbed by Messages at all, then turn everything off in System Preferences - Notification Center, including the alert type.

User uploaded file

If you don't want Messages to receive anything at all, then you will need to sign out of it in Messages - Preferences - Accounts and sign in when you want to use it.

Apr 24, 2014 11:29 AM in response to Wazatron

Hi Wazatron,

I notice that the whole middle section is in fact greyed out.

This happens when all the Buddy List type accounts including Bonjour are Logged out (or not Enabled).

User uploaded file

I have not hidden the details of this one as my AIM name is quite well known anyway.

The list goes down further are there are potentially 10 non iMessages (buddy List type ) Accounts in my Messages including the Bonjour one.

Once the middle section has greyed out the settings don't apply.

Enable the Bonjour account (you don't have to display it using the Window Menu).

Then uncheck the setting then re-tick the box again.

This is one of those things that iChat did and you have to set some of the iChat type things to keep the functions.

Many of the menu items are like this such as Buddies > Add Buddy - you need a Buddy list that Buddies can be added to for this to work. It cannot be used to add a Contact to the Contacts app. (i.e. the iMessages side).

User uploaded file

7:29 pm Thursday; April 24, 2014

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Remove messages from startup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.