Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Increasing memory on late 2009 iMac

I now have 4GB memory, but I am thinking of increasing this. Before doing anhything, I'd appreciate some clarification on the following:

------

Memory specifications

These iMac models have these memory specifications:

Number of memory slots 4
Base memory 4 GB (but is configured to order)
Maximum memory 16 GB
Note: For the iMac (Late 2009) models, you can use 2 GB or 4 GB RAM SO-DIMMs of 1066 MHz DDR3 SDRAM in each slot. For the iMac (Mid 2010) and iMac (Mid 2011) models, use 2 GB or 4 GB RAM SO-DIMMs of 1333 MHz DDR3 SDRAM in each slot.

Does this mean that in order to obtain the maximum memory of 16 GB I would have to remove the two memory chips that came with the computer and install 4GB chips in each of the four slots that then became available?

iDVD 7.1.1 (1150)

Posted on Mar 8, 2014 10:54 AM

14 replies

Mar 8, 2014 11:34 AM in response to Old Toad

As it turns out, the article that said that the maximum memory for my late 2009 iMac is 16GB was correct. I went to macsales.com. Although I saw 32GB memory for 2010, 2011, and 2012 models, I only saw 16GB for my iMac. However, to be doubly sure I called. Their tiebreaker (technician) told me that the maximum memory for my computer is 16GB, not 32GB. Case closed.

May 18, 2014 2:51 PM in response to Niku

Memory may or may not improve performance depending on how much demand is placed on it. Go to Finder, Applications, Utilities, Activity Monitor, choose the Memory button top center. While running your normal applications, see how much memory is being used, and the number Page Ins/Page Outs. If the number of page ins and outs is high it means you are using a lot of virtual memory, I.e., the hard drive...you need more memory. If you are not loading up the memory and using virtual memory, adding more ram will make no difference.

Increasing memory on late 2009 iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.