Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can my iPhone and MacBook Pro be hacked by receiving a call from an weird number?

I received a phone call from a bizarre number. The guy asked me if I could confirm the number I saw on my screen. I did. then strange things started to happen to my MacBook Pro. I am wondering if through this call could somene have hacked my system. One of the things that happened to my MacBook Pro is that I went to make a make a presentation and the system apparently deleted all my cookies and now I have to enter my UserID and Password to every site I normally use. Any guidance will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Mar 8, 2014 11:37 AM

5 replies

Mar 8, 2014 12:42 PM in response to Roxanafromgu

There are some remote control applications where you might see a code on screen & that would be given to a trusted 3rd party so that they could see & use your computer over a network. However, the software would already need to be in place, and (obviously) they'd need to know your 'phone number.

If it seems as if that's what happened, erasing/reinstalling would be my suggestion, although of course, as shldr2thewheel suggests, researching the 'phone call would be a good thing to do.

Mar 8, 2014 1:52 PM in response to Roxanafromgu

>>...when you say "...erasing/reinstalling..." what do you exactly refer to? Save my documents and then reinstall the whole OS?...

Saving, erasing the disk, then installing a completely new system & importing/migrating only your documents & files, rather than any software. Changing all passwords etc too.

Which may sound extreme, but if something cropped up on your computer screen, with a number included, then someone called your 'phone & requested that number from the screen, and after giving it to them, it seemed as if they could control your computer... (what were the other strange things ?).

Can my iPhone and MacBook Pro be hacked by receiving a call from an weird number?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.