Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine restore freezing

Hello all,

I recently purchased a new (used) 15-inch retina display macbook and have been trying to restore my time machine backup from my current system to it.

Everything seems to work fine until the macbook restarts, then simply sits on a grey screen with spinning dotted circle for many many hours. I thought it may have just been completing the backup sequence, but I let it sit for 7 hours overnight with no resolution. If I force quit the system and open it up in boot mode, I can see that only 100GB of the 240GB restore has been written. The system won't boot in standard startup mode.

Any suggestions?

MacBook Pro with Retina display

Posted on Mar 8, 2014 11:57 AM

1 reply

Mar 10, 2014 11:04 AM in response to StaffordMedia

If you had 10.8 installed, boot to the Recovery Volume (command - R on a restart or hold down the option key during a restart and select Recovery Volume). Run Disk Utility Verify/Repair and Repair Permissions and then erase the hard drive, using Mac OS Extended (Journaled) as the format. Then reinstall the OS. This should give you Setup Assistant when you first start up. Use that to restore from Time Machine.

OS X Recovery

OS X Recovery (2)

Time Machine restore freezing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.