Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple's plan for home movies/videos

I do enough video to make about 4 DS DVDs a year.

Going through the forums, I read that Apple thinks that cd, dvd & Blu Ray media are passe.

But I can find no reference on what Apple thinks users are going to keep their home videos on.

Do they really expect that users are going to post everything on youtube?

Do they think that we are going to store everything on flash drives (sticks)? They might be coming down in price, but they ain't cheap.

They really can't expect everything to be stored on drives & cloud, can they? Oh yes, I trust that icloud will never lose any of my stuff. Maybe. I would imagine that more people have dvd players than those with unlimted free high speed internet.

Originally I was going to ask the best settings to transfer video to dvd but I can see that there are no direct answers. Only dissertations. Yes, I know, everyone's setup is different. But please, 5 paragraphs to answer a simple question is too much.

I know Apple doesn't monitor these forums, so don't waste my time 'splaining that to me.

Don't comment on my spelling or grammer as I don't care.

So, for the executive summary...

Does anyone know what Apple is steering us towards regarding storing and dissemination of our home videos?

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1), 65gb SSD, 2tb HDD

Posted on Mar 8, 2014 1:17 PM

2 replies

Mar 8, 2014 3:08 PM in response to Tony Baczynski

We are all just fellow users here, and not privy to Apple's future strategies. But that doesn't mean we don't have opinions!

Why is there no iDVD on my new Mac? How do I get it and how do I install it?

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-3673

All your assumptions are largely correct, but if you use FXP X you can also burn video DVDs from that.

Originally I was going to ask the best settings to transfer video to dvd but I can see that there are no direct answers.

Transfer from where? iMovie? Some other source?

Mar 9, 2014 10:12 PM in response to Tony Baczynski

Going through the forums, I read that Apple thinks that cd, dvd & Blu Ray media are passe.

Optical media remains very popular. It's just Apple makes no money with optical media.

Do they really expect that users are going to post everything on youtube?

No, they expect you to use Apple servers.

They really can't expect everything to be stored on drives & cloud, can they?

You got it.

Oh yes, I trust that icloud will never lose any of my stuff.

Any company can lose your data, delete your data, or go bankrupt.

I would imagine that more people have dvd players than those with unlimted free high speed internet.

There are only about 800 million DVD players on the earth, (don't know about other planets).

Does anyone know what Apple is steering us towards regarding storing and dissemination of our home videos?

Chart your own course. If you want your home videos to be watched by family and friends burn a DVD and mail it to them. I find iMovie and iDVD to be a terrific combination. Both are tested for compatibility with the latest Mac OS.

Apple's plan for home movies/videos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.