Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unauthorized payment card appears in safari autofill

Hi. Several weeks back an authorized (China UnionPay) payment card appeared in my Safari's autofill listing. I've never had such a card, let alone entered related information into my browser or Apple devices. I have an Amex card, and have read about an Amex partnership with Unionpay but this type of thing would fall outside it's scope.

Since then, I removed the Unionpay card from my account, deleting other autofill information in the process. This past week gmail flagged suspicsious activity prompting me to change my passwords and add an antivirus, however I'm concerned that I may miss something or do things out of order and again be at risk.

I've read online tips on detection and prevention but have found nothing that speaks to this situation. Is my concern justified? How far must I go to cleaning my system? Please help.

Thanks,

Concerned and potentially hacked.

iMac (21.5-inch Mid 2011), iOS 7.0.6

Posted on Mar 8, 2014 2:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 15, 2017 9:10 PM

Indeed the last four digits under the China UnionPay listing were the same as my IKEA Family account. This has been a horrible experience given the current security risks in the wild. Someone needs to do better stat. Thanks to Google for quickly finding this post. I wUser uploaded fileas not looking forward to a lengthy phone support session with Apple.

22 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 15, 2017 9:10 PM in response to ahall52

Indeed the last four digits under the China UnionPay listing were the same as my IKEA Family account. This has been a horrible experience given the current security risks in the wild. Someone needs to do better stat. Thanks to Google for quickly finding this post. I wUser uploaded fileas not looking forward to a lengthy phone support session with Apple.

Mar 8, 2014 3:04 PM in response to seventy one

Thanks for those tips. I have done some preliminary investigations and come up short but can continue to search more. I've added the anti-virus "Avast!" which was one of the top rated but free, so far no virus detections. I'll continue to change my passwords, just hope it's not a moot point given the hack has entered my system through my central system rather than any particular account,...so what's to stop the hack from getting all my new passwords...

Jun 27, 2015 8:58 PM in response to nealfromdurham

I had the same thing appear in my credit card list as China UnionPay Card and I too, was freaking out, because my debit card was used fraudently just a few days ago. However I checked my Ikea Family member card number, it ends in the same 4 digits. I deleted if from the Safari autofill credit cards.

Thanks for the tip and saving me from hours of research.

Mar 8, 2014 4:50 PM in response to Linc Davis

The payment card first surfaced as I was about to make an online payment via autofill. Then I checked my safari>preferences>autofill>credit cards, and sure enough, found the card there as well. Only I have access to my workstation and devices. Time to time, I have logged into my Apple/iTunes possibly Cloud account from a different Mac. Thanks.

Mar 8, 2014 2:56 PM in response to mactrouble101

If you are doubtful you need to satisfy your suspicions; my first enquiries would be to learn something about China UnionPay Card, just dig around.

Then I would go check the Anti Virus system. Macs really don't need such 'help' which in most cases will cause far more damage than a three your old with a hammer. Which one did you buy?

And I would certainly Google Amex and China union to learn more about the tie up. The last thing you need from your credit card is inertia selling. On the other hand China Union is rapidly overtaking Visa as a world number 1 in credit cards so I very much doubt you need be overly concerned.

Tell us more about the Anti Virus program.

Mar 8, 2014 3:19 PM in response to mactrouble101

Avast is not the best regarded program here, but it is better than some. However, if you downloaded it from Softonic's website, you need to get rid of it as soon as you can. This company works hand in glove with some of the worst security Apps you can find.

Clam X AV and Sophos are probably the most generally accepted apps, but as I said, they should not be necessary. I am concerned that gmail have flagged security issues. Via what security system, do you know?

You don't want to keep changing passwords if you can help it and when we know more about where you got Avast from and any others you may have encountered then we may be able to tell you what best to do.

Mar 8, 2014 3:36 PM in response to seventy one

Thanks, that's reassuring to hear on the software and password fronts. Avast from CNET, gmail informed me of attempts to access my account from Laos (bordered by china and burma). Below is the gmail msg, from the Google Accounts team.

We prevented the sign-in attempt in case this was a hijacker trying to access your account. Please review the details of the sign-in attempt:

Monday, March 3, 2014 4:56:35 AM UTC
IP Address: 202.62.98.97

Mar 8, 2014 3:54 PM in response to mactrouble101

Is this an isolated attempt to sign into your account. If it continues you may feel finding an alternative to gmail easier to cope with. As I don't use the service (or trust Google) I am not acquainted with the way they do things ... but it looks fairly authentic.

Have to retire now but in case you are up and able to read a bit more, here are a few notes from highly regarded people in these forums. They may give you guidance.

Viruses, Trojans, Malware - and other aspects of Internet Security: Apple Support Communities This is by Klaus1.

The Safe Mac : Mac Malware Guide This is from the same thomas who answered with one post earlier. Check the notes on the right hand side.

And here is a link to one of the best regarded of ways to find files and folders when you are clearing out your system.

Freeware applications and services for Mac - DEVONtechnologies

Thank you for the stars. Save any more for the final solution.

Mar 8, 2014 4:20 PM in response to Linc Davis

Thanks. To clarify, Avast was added in response to what I believe was the Safari/Mac hack - unauthorized payment card showing up in my autofill - would there be a more appropriate security to address this?

(I must admit, I'm only in process of familiarizing with the different threat types now i.e. Trojan horse, and security solutions, so any suggestions in this regard would be very welcome!)

Jun 23, 2014 9:06 PM in response to mactrouble101

Had the exact same thing here. Have a Visa and MasterCard. Clicked to autofill one of those cards and a third China Union Pay card dropped down that I have never seen. Viewed the iCloud Keychain and it's listed there, but unlike my other saved cards where you can view the card holder's name the card holder is "xxxx". Convenient. And way sketchy. Awesome.

Jun 25, 2014 2:55 PM in response to mactrouble101

I had this issue today. We found that if you enter a Card number that starts with 62 or 88 and is 16-19 characters long, Safari will ask you if you want to save the card. If you save the card, it will be labeled as a China UnionPay card.

Safari thinks it's being smart by using the information here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bank_card_number to label cards. There is no Malware/Virus. Just Safari trying too hard.

Unauthorized payment card appears in safari autofill

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.