Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where are my loops in the loop browser?

I installed Mainstage on my cpu and don't know if this is the reason I'm now having trouble finding my loops!! I tried to select the "Show All" at the top of the browser thinking this would do it and still, no loops except for some mainstage loops. Help!

Posted on Mar 8, 2014 3:27 PM

9 replies

Mar 8, 2014 3:40 PM in response to BJOSU

Have you tried to rebuild the Loop Index?

In GarageBand 10.0 set the "Loops" drop-down menu to "reindex all loops".

User uploaded file

In GarageBand '11 do es described here:

Rebuilding the Loop Index in GarageBand

One more thing: The Loop Browser may appear to be nearly empty, if you have a filter set: Uncheck "Filter for more relevant content" in the GarageBand "Loops" Preferences. And check, if a search string is entered in the search field in the Loop Browser. Set the Scale to "Any".

Mar 8, 2014 11:44 PM in response to BJOSU

Be carefull when switching between GarageBand11 and GarageBandX, they store the index files in different locations. Actually they use completely different indexing mechanism.

GarageBand11 stores index in the separate Apple Loops index files in the Library/Audio folder but GarageBandX uses now a single dedicated database file "LoopsDatabaseV8.db in the ~/Music/Audio Music Apps/ folder.

Also, the Favorites loops that you can mark in the Loop Browser are now also stored in that database file and not in the GarageBand Preferences file anymore. This has the advantage that you won't lose your Favorites tags when you have to trash a corrupted preferences file.

Hope that helps

Edgar Rothermich

http://DingDingMusic.com/Manuals/

'I may receive some form of compensation, financial or otherwise, from my recommendation or link.'

Mar 9, 2014 3:49 PM in response to léonie

Hey thanks for your response..however, when I try to "rebuild the loop index" I can't find the loops drop down menu your speaking of. There is a drop down menu under "Loops" but the only selection under it is "Garageband". There is nothing indicating I can reindex the loops.

Also I tried your second suggestion to no avail. Thanks for your help.

BH

Mar 9, 2014 4:11 PM in response to BJOSU

Hey thanks for your response..however, when I try to "rebuild the loop index" I can't find the loops drop down menu your speaking of. There is a drop down menu under "Loops" but the only selection under it is "Garageband".

The drop-down menu is only available in the new GarageBand 10.0. Since I did not know your GarageBand version, I listed both methods, for GarageBand 10.0 and GarageBand '11.

Also I tried your second suggestion to no avail.

In what way did it not work? Could you not find the AppleLoops folder? Did dragging the apple Loops to the Loop browser not bring the loops back?

Mar 10, 2014 1:56 AM in response to BJOSU

opened a new file and lo and behold I was able to use any of the old loops I'd been using...but for some reason there not available in the song I'm currently working on....

In GarageBand '11 it will depend on the time signature of the project you are working with, if certain loops are available. 4/4 loops will not show in projects with 5/4 time signature or similar. And have you set the Loop Browser to all?

Mar 10, 2014 9:06 AM in response to BJOSU

As I said in your other post, you can temporarily change the time signature to a different one and try to find suitable loop. Then change the signature back.

If you pick a software instrument loop, you can try to edit it and modify it to match your other signature. I frequently create loops for unsupported signatures by combining fragments of 4/4 loops.

Where are my loops in the loop browser?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.