Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bigger labels?

Is there a way to make the new tags look like the old style labels? Those dots are just too small. I preferred when the entire file name was colored, or even the old OS9 colored icons. Much easier to spot.

Posted on Mar 8, 2014 4:09 PM

6 replies

Mar 9, 2014 5:58 PM in response to photojon

photojon wrote:

Not sure I see the value in colored folders if the colored folder icon is not sortable item (by color). The icon changing in the info box would be really tedious, one folder at a time. With the old "labels" system, one could drag over a whole column of folders or files and assign a color for all at once.

The Finder sorts, arranges, and finds by tag. If you name your tags as colors, you can sort by color.

I can select a whole group of files and set a tag to every one of them at the same time. I can event set multiple tags on the whole selection, not just the one label.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Apr 4, 2014 2:51 AM in response to photojon

Hi photjon,

I finally got my colorful Labels back using this little App from Tran Ky Nam Software (I’m not affiliated). It’s called XtraFinder and I’ve used it in previous iterations of OS X to get tabs in Finder. When Mavericks came along with Finder tabs, I stopped using it, even though it had a great feature for double clicking on a tab and have it display two tabs worth of Finder in the same window. Anyways, the whole Tags instead of Labels thing was infuriating and I revisited XtraFinder and the 3/25/2014 release has Legacy Labels! I now have XtraFinder as a Login Item and once I set my preferences (colorful sidebar icons!) and restarted Finder I had all of my colorful stripes again. It seems to color the filename with the last Tag that it’s given, meaning I still have multiple Tags, too.

Here’s the link to the download

http://www.trankynam.com/xtrafinder/

Good luck everyone, you can now we can all get back to work (grin).

M

Bigger labels?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.