Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will iTunes ever offer uncompressed movies?

I have 100 movies in iTunes, I always watched the movies on my laptop. Then I purchased a home theater system where the movies do not look so good. It's all because of compression. Both audio and picture quality is negatively affected by compression because of the need of smaller download sizes. Do you think as time goes on and bandwidth becomes faster, iTunes will offer versions of uncompressed movies?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Mar 8, 2014 9:01 PM

8 replies

Mar 8, 2014 9:07 PM in response to HarrisonPayne123

We have absolutely no idea what Apple will do, nor are we allowed to speculate on the forums.

Unless you have a video camera that produces raw footage, all video is compressed. Of course you can compress to different formats and your issue is the format you are viewing wasn't designed to be blown up to the degree you are doing. It was only a few years ago Apple went from only distributing SD video to HD.

Another limitation is the original video. If a show isn't shot with HD then nothing can be done to make it sharper.

Mar 8, 2014 9:26 PM in response to HarrisonPayne123

Bluray also uses compression but to a larger format. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray_Disc#Codecs

And the answer is, we don't know. Apple keeps developments pretty closely guarded until they are ready to be released. Until then anything else is speculation and speculation is prohibited in the Terms of use of the ASC site. Frankly, Apple may not even know. Ultimately what is distributed is up to the media owners.

Mar 9, 2014 1:43 AM in response to HarrisonPayne123

I do not think we will see it until the next video codec standard comes in.

For a 1080p movie, iTunes currently uses h.264 at around 4-8Mbps, which gives pretty good quality for the size, Blu-Rays usually use h.264 as well, but at around 30-50Mbps.

h.265, which is still in developement I believe, can achieve nearly the same quality at half the bit rate, and therefore nearly half the file size. It can also support 2K, 4K and even 8K resolutions.

So I think (also not for quite a while yet) that the 720p and 1080p files will either get smaller, or, stay around the same size with an increase in percieved quality.

I think eventually 2K and 4K files will be available to download, but right now, they are just too big to transfer and manage, also not many devices can actually play those resolutions back yet. Until the ability to play them is there, and have them at a reasonable file size (apparently h.265 will be able to get good looking 4K around 7-12Mbps) I just can't see it yet.

Long story short, yes, but not for a while. The h.265 standard needs to be finished, get hardware decoding into products (this is key, otherwise battery life will be hilariously short), so a few years yet.

Will iTunes ever offer uncompressed movies?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.