Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My MacBook Pro won't shutdown

I started noticing this problem this morning. I have 2010 MacBook Pro, I recently had the hard drive replaced and have the latest version of Mavericks. At first I noticed known the links I had clicked on google and reddit weren't turning purple, then I noticed I wasn't getting any e-mail on the mail app or new messages on iMessages, but were receiving them on my phone. I tried to restart my computer, but it didn't work, I then tried to shut down, but that didn't work either so I had to force it to shut down. After I restarted, it asked if I wanted to restore any of the windows and would work fine for about half an hour until the same problems began again. I have been dealing with this all day and I'm starting to get worried there may be something more serious happening if anybody could help me that would be great.

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2010), iOS 7.0.6, recently replaced hard drive

Posted on Mar 8, 2014 11:35 PM

2 replies

Mar 9, 2014 4:55 AM in response to pmb442

The first thing to do is to make sure you have a full backup of everything. You can then try to reinstall Mavericks by booting to the Recovery partition. Hold down the Command and R keys at boot to do this. You can first try to install Mavericks "on top" of the existing installation to see if that fixes things. While this shouldn't harm your files, you should have a full backup just in case. If that doesn't do it, you can try a "clean" install, which means wiping the disk first.

Again, back up before you do anything.

My MacBook Pro won't shutdown

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.