Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I use this printer with my macintosh SE?

I have a macintosh SE form 1986, i need a printer and i have found this one on a hardware shop near by at a very fair price:

Apple Color StyleWriter 2500.

Can I use it with my mac? Will be a problem the software with the 800K diskettes? In case this printer wont work, wich one you recommend?

Thanks in advance!

Carlos

Macintosh SE

Posted on Mar 9, 2014 3:30 AM

4 replies

Mar 9, 2014 6:05 AM in response to Carloselvis

Hello Carlos,

The Color StyleWriter and its CSW 2500 software requires a 68020 processor or higher. A Macintosh SE has a 68000 processor. So, unfortunately, the SE cannot be used here.

Instead, choose a black and white printer, such as a StyleWriter or StyleWriter II. For the SW II, use System 6.0.8 or 7.0 and the printer software below with an SE.

http://download.info.apple.com/Apple_Support_Area/Apple_Software_Updates/English -North_American/Macintosh/Printing/StyleWriter/StyleWriter_II_1.2.sea.bin

http://download.info.apple.com/Apple_Support_Area/Apple_Software_Updates/English -North_American/Macintosh/Printing/StyleWriter/StyleWriter_II_1.2_Info.txt

An appropriate old LaserWriter model can also be a good alternative (high print quality).

Jan

Mar 9, 2014 6:26 AM in response to Carloselvis

Carlos,

Did you find a set of system floppies for the SE (your earlier *Macintosh SE startup Problem ...' topic)? If so, which version is installed now?

Or are you just running the SE from a single startup floppy? Is there anything on the hard disk?

Typically, system software suitable for the Macintosh SE (6.0.3, 6.0.8 and 7.0) contained some drivers (extensions) for printers available at the time of the system release (such as LaserWriter printers and the original StyleWriter).

Jan

Can I use this printer with my macintosh SE?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.