Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

external iSight - system profiler: unknown device - green light on - no functionality

Hey all,

I just bought an external iSight camera and wanted to use it with my new MacMini. As you all know there isn't a firewire 400 port any more, so I bought a firewire 800 to 400 adapter.

After pluggin al in, the iSight camera isn't recognized by the system. In SystemProfiler the iSight is shown as an unknown device.

I tried the suggestions of the official apple Support document (pluggin out an in, reset PRAM and SMC, ...).

I do have Mavericks 10.9.2 - Mac Mini Model 6,2 - Cori i7 (2,6GHz)

Thanks for your help.

Patrick

Posted on Mar 9, 2014 4:51 AM

1 reply

Mar 9, 2014 9:27 AM in response to PatrickDrews

(1) iSight : How to test your external iSight to ensure it is functional.

Test on another Mac if possible. You may also need to test different cables and or adapters.

(2) If your 10.9.2 Mac's System Information utility still doesn't recognize your Firewire iSight:

Apple discontinued external iSight several years ago. My external iSights (I have two) are great webcams, but they are getting old as consumer electronics go. Both of mine still work as well as they did when they were new. However, some previously owned or even NOS (new, old stock) iSights may have been damaged by rough treatment or improper storage.

An honest seller may offer you return or exchange privileges. If not, and if you don't want to spend the money to have your external iSight serviced, consider a new, Mac-compatible USB cam instead.

A new cam will include a current manufacturer's warranty, and a USB cam is not subject to the possible conflicts that can cause difficulties with the old Firewire-connected iSights.

Message was edited by: EZ Jim

Mac Pro Quad Core (Early09) 2.93Ghz OSX 10.9   24" LED Cinema Display
MBP 15" i7 (Early'11) OSX 10.9             External iSights
13" MBP (Mid'09) 2.26GHz OSX 10.9           iBook SE 366MHz OSX 10.3.9

external iSight - system profiler: unknown device - green light on - no functionality

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.